Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 2nd
East Side Roof, John and Keith
“It’s okay,” Grayson says as he steps away from John again. He glances over at Keith with a shrug. “I’ll d-deal with it later. Don’t worry about it. A-and thanks. For what you said.”

He sighs, his eyes moving to meet John’s before moving away. “The b-black dragon, right? I felt him reach out to us, b-but I didn’t know that he actually t-talked to him.”
“Yes. Valèdir exchanged formalities with Jaal,” John confirmed. “Given that Valèdir identified himself to Jaal, I suspected that Valèdir either blocked that from you or spoke Draconic the entire time. I wasn’t sure if you knew that language or not.”

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
“I think I’ll need t-to talk to… him myself,” Grayson continues after a moment. “I have some questions t-that only he c-can answer. Th-thank you for te-telling me what you have. I understand w-why you tried to walk away earlier, with the ch-challenge and everything. Y-you’re braver than I would be, c-coming back to talk to me.”

His eyes gain a steely hint of determination as he meets John’s gaze. “I won’t let him hurt you, John. Even if it kills me.”
“I have no doubt you will do everything you can, Grayson,” John replied, mindfully not extending his hand while his talons remained. “Just promise me this: You, Keith, and I know that, in our line of work, we face things that can surprise us and effect us unexpectedly. Should Valèdir get out and come for me through no fault of your own, you won’t blame yourself. I’ve already promised Emi to do whatever I can to end things without causing you harm, if I can, and as little harm as possible if I cannot. I make that promise to you now, as well.”

And I don’t want to kill again, he thought.

“We just had to bury a teammate. I don’t want anyone to have to go through that due to my actions if I can avoid it.

“Why don’t you take Keith up on his offer and let him patch you up,” John suggested not entirely altruistically, given the other likely option for who would bandage him up. “I can wait for him here.”

He also suspected that this would not be the only conversation that took place this evening and that there was a better than good chance that that conversation would only begin following Grayson’s departure.