Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 1st
John
“I will relay that to her,” Nora replies as Emi takes John’s hand.

“Let me drop my violin off in my room,” she says. “Then I’ll walk you down to the garage and say hi to Clea.”

She leads him down the hall to the living quarters and disappears briefly into her room.

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
Show
John can hear the low thump of a kick drum and bass, along with a rapid, melodic guitar solo coming from Grayson’s room.

Emi returns and smiles at John as she takes him back through the foyer and down into the garage.
Spoiler: John hears the music and assumes it is a genre he would confuse with the name of a European capital.
Show
Notice Roll for Grayson’s Room: 1d10o10+4 5 1d6o6+4 6

At least, John thought, he did not have to worry about Grayson overhearing much—although he had no way of knowing if it was to mask the sound he and Emi were making or if Zach and Kylie were disturbing him.

He decided he did not want to know. Whichever it was, he would have a difficult time enough later when Emi filled him in on Valèdir and the Challenge.

Okay, so maybe he wanted to know a little. It would give an indication how sensitive his hearing was if he was concerned about overhearing the two of them in the lounge.

The walk to the garage, hand in had, passed in silence. John was aware of the list of responsibilities that would come crashing back down on him once he got into Clea and pulled out. For now, he drank in the simple pleasure of walking, hand in hand, with Emi. She, too, would have unpleasant tasks after he left—tasks he did not envy.

“I was beginning to worry that I would not get to see you this evening, particular friend,” Clea said after the door to the garage was closed. “I suppose I should not be too surprised or upset if John monopolizes your time but I must confess a certain amount of envy.

“Nora won’t provide me with a video or audio feed of what you two get up to in there—which I find somewhat unsporting of her. How am I to know what to tease John about and allude to coyly in my reports to Auntie Henrietta if I am prevented from knowing what you two have been up to?”

“I’m glad to hear you just aren’t making things up,” John quipped.

“My programming forbids it, if you must know,” Clea replied loftily. “Besides: It’s much more enjoyable if I get to tag team with our particular friend when creating moments of embarrassment for you.”