Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 1st
John
Grayson raises his head and looks steadily into John’s eyes. “If you heard the conversation, then you know what I said. I’m not going to take it back,” he says firmly. He seems to loose his nerve after his statement though, and breaks eye contact again. “I n-never ever mean to cause her pain or upset her. Until yesterday I d-didn’t know that she could feel when the dragon hurts me.”
“In truth, Grayson, I only had a portion of the conversation reported to me. If it is more than your profession of your feelings for Emi, I don’t know about it. Nor do I feel the need to.”

Not much, anyway.

Okay, maybe a little.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
“I want to w-work with you, John,” Grayson says softly as the magician turns to leave. “I really do, but y-you don’t understand how much it hu-hurts. It takes everything I ha-have to stay in control when he gets angry. I-I don’t want to hurt anyone… l-least of of someone that Emi cares about. Th-that’s why I left yesterday. He made a deal with me. If I l-let him have full control for the day, and he wouldn’t try to hurt me or t-take control for a week.”
“I understand, Grayson—at least partially. And I am grateful for the times you have contained…him. I am no more interested in harming someone Emi cares for than you do and I have no intention of either of us having to go back to our parents in a body bag. If he refuses to commit to avoiding that, at least you and I can. That’s a start, anyway.

“But if he is not concerned with Emi’s feelings, you and he need to have a conversation about his intentions—for you and for her.

John paused and looked down. “I am glad to hear about his promise, though. It will make your conversation with Emi later this evening easier.”

As will the timeline for leaving for Providence. At least he could strike “Worry about the plane getting off safely due to the risk of mysterious icing” from his to do list.

He glanced back at Grayson. If the dragon was well behaved, he likely could risk it.

“We’ll figure it out, my friend. It will not be easy but two smart guys like us should be able to determine a good way forward.

“For Emi’s sake, if nothing else.”