Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 1st
John
“Options when you’re working with demons are usually few and far between,” the doctor agrees. She listens to Emi and John’s response before picking up her plate and standing. “I’m gonna let you guys talk and go catch the tail end of the new Paranormal episode,” she says to excuse herself from the conversation. “Let Nora know if you want to keep talking shop after it’s over, John.”

The demonologist vacates the room to give the two of them space. Shashka watches her go, torn between following and waiting for more delicious fish. The demonling’s wings flutter before she lets out a chirpy meow and jumps off the table, bounding after the doctor.

Emi sighs, cheeks tinging light pink as she pushes some black beans around with her fork. “My father is already upset with Grayson, after he left yesterday. I think he will be brusque with his explanation, and may not answer questions. He was already in a mood today after Myriad pulled him in last minute to do interviews with several captured Crowns about Nova, trying to connect the dots.”

“I think I’ll talk to him after you leave,” she says. “It will be easier to hear, coming from me, rather than my father.”
“At least I know what I can bribe Shashka with in the future,” John observed as the demonling bounded out of the room. “I’m thinking I shouldn’t put the chicken tacos on the list of things I might be able to bribe you with, though.”

It was a lame joke but it was the only one he had at hand. Romance, it seemed, continued to be more difficult than dealing with demons.

“If you think it will help cheer your father at all, my next set of alchemical experiments will be on Nova, trying to isolate some to all of its component parts from Zylas’ ichor to see if the chemicals can be traced by conventional means. If he likes, I will forward the results to him. It will let AEGIS will be simultaneously torn between being miffed at Myriad getting intel from me and Myriad potentially having to admit they needed AEGIS intel.

“And maybe it will make him a little less annoyed with me.”

John sighed and smiled at his girlfriend. “In the meantime, what can I do to help you? You’re still stuck in the middle of all this and, as your boyfriend, I am supposed to help you out when you find yourself in trouble. Or at least offer a neck rub if there is nothing else I can do.”

He could worry about Grayson’s reaction later. For now, his focus was on Emi.