1. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Preparations

The heroes travelled about the castle, seeking assistance for their cause. The royal treasurer was unmoved by Bil's request at first, but the additional weight of Prince Doredan's request finally caused him to relent. He returned from the vaults with two pouches, each one filled with tiny diamonds. What they lacked in size, they made up for in quantity. "These diamonds are kept on hand for emergencies. Seeing as this is an emergency, we can give you six hundred gold worth of the mountain's bounty. Use it wisely. Like if our local Prince decides to get felled by some horrible monster." The wizened old treasurer, who had known Doredan his entire life, gave the Prince a smile, passing to him a woolen cloak with veins of silver thread running through it. "And for our adventuring Prince, we have your grandfather's cloak, recovered the regrettable night he fell to assassins. It was to be your older brother's wedding present. I trust you will present him to it after getting much use out of it. Godspeed, Prince Doredan."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    600 gp of diamonds in two 300 gp sacks, one cloak of resistance for the Prince. No, not that Prince. The other Prince. Do deliver it to him.

In the kitchens, Felicity and Kunnian's plea is met by a small woman wearing an apron with a friendly smile on her face. The head chef's smile melts away as you describe the direness of your mission, however. "I knew that poor Monsinar was getting into trouble marrying that elvish witch. Well, our heroes to be will not want for anything I can provide." She makes her way to the pantry, returning a quarter hour later with two small barrels of food mounted by leather straps to be carried by a mule. Or a centaur. "There's some basic rations in there, but I also raided the royal pantry for you. There's five Ephasian apples in there- you'll know them, they glow slightly, and they don't spoil. They say Ephasian apples will cure anything that ails you, and I've not seen them fail once. Use them carefully, though. They are worth more than you can afford, and I was supposed to bake them into a pie for lunch tomorrow."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Supplies. Plenty of them. You'll run out eventually, but likely not before you have time to restock. Each Ephasian apple counts as a potion of greater healing that casts lesser restoration on you when you eat it, and you have 5.

Hylusi's journey through the Princess' chambers is bitter sweet. It is simultaneously empty of anything of use and filled with memories. Late nights studying tomes. Early mornings breaking fast after trancing. Inane dinner parties broken up by telepathic sarcastic jokes about the guests. All these moments and more flash back through the Magus' mind, so much so that she does not notice at first when one of her servants, face impassive and masked, returns from the room where Hylusi tranced and kept her quarters, adjoined to the Princess'. The servitor hands a small blue ring attached with silver cord to a small note. In reading it, it was obviously prepared before the Princess meant to leave, before she was confronted and questioned by her Magus.

Spoiler: Elvish note
    Show
    My compatriot, my study partner, my closest companion- I must go. There are forces beyond us in this world and in others, and I hope that by the time we meet again I will have greater mastery over them. Keep this knowledge secret, and I will return for you, so that we may both be elevated beyond the meager titles of Queen of some human backwater and Court Wizard, admittedly of a very capable Queen. I want something better for myself that secular power. More for us. I wish I could tell you more, but if I linger one more moment the opportunity will be lost or I fear my conviction may falter. Take this. Be safe. Grow more powerful. We will meet again, with entire worlds beneath us. Your Teacher in this World and Beyond, Deidrenei.

Spoiler: Blue Ring
    Show
    This is a Ring of Force of Will, tuned to evocation. 3 charges, restoring 1d3 at dawn. You can spend a charge to cast counterspell targeting any evocation spell of 3rd level or lower (please remind me when you fight spell casters and I will probably automatically activate it when we discuss it OOC). You lose hit points equal to 3 times the spells level. This is a reaction action. It requires attunement.

Spoiler: History DC 15
    Show
    This is one of Renald's Rings, a protective ring passed down through the aristocracy of Everarbor for many generations. Crafted by King Renald, there were blue rings, red rings, and a single black ring. The black ring went to his wife, the queen, and you know that it has been worn by every queen since, including the one one room over. The red rings went to his many children, most of which are lost to time, misadventure, war, or ruin. The blue rings, the least powerful, were given to trusted advisors, courtiers of rank, and, supposedly, their lovers. They are uncommon, but not unknown of in Everarbor, but it is still considered an esteemed honor to receive one (whether it is a sign of trust, respect, admiration, or affection).

Once the group is assembled in one of the terrace gardens, freshly supplied and seemingly prepared, Hylusi or Doredan activate their respective tokens, summoning the ethereal, milky Path that leads to the moon. When someone touches it, a wave of light pulses through the path along with a hollow chime, but it is as solid as the very stone of the mountain beneath your feet. It is time.

However, before the group can make their first step in their great journey, a wailing comes from within the castle, followed by a maid's curse and the sound of rapid feet coming this way. Doredan's younger brother, Ferdinand, stomps his way up to Doredan and kicks him firmly in the shin. "They say you are leaving! They say you are going to save big brother! She says you may be gone a long time!" The young boy jerks his thumb backwards at a maid who is approaching, hopping on one leg with a fresh scuff on her own shin. "You better find Monsinar! And you better bring him back! And we're going to be a family, and be happy, and we'll be together again! Forever!" The young dark skinned boy has tears in the corners of his eyes, and he throws himself at his older brother in an awkward child's hug. "I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO!!!"
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-03-17 at 11:43 AM.
    The Bear is Back.