1. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XIX: Give Jeph Just A *Little* Credit, Here

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In the very next comic, he pours it out into the bright yellow Hazardous Materials box behind him. Or possibly its just a random box, who knows?

I'm just aghast at how utterly bat-shot insane the logic has to be for Claire to want to stay in this place. Solving Liz's problems is NOT going to be her job either as Director of IS or as a Librarian. and it would be incredibly unhealthy for her to yoke her own personal success to solving the problems of every orphaned rando she stumbles across, and I can't stop thinking of a dozen comics where Dora has explained - in sleep deprived and partially starved detail - how hard it was to open her shop after years of working as a barista elsewhere but Marten is just 'maybe I'll do it, whatever' about opening a coffee shop in a town where 90% of the population don't have stomachs and and and

Who thinks this is good storytelling? Who wants this level of naked Author's Pet-ism? And how to we find those people and tie them into a sack and then throw that sack into the sea for their own good?
    At this point, I'm... you know what, I'm not going to say I believe Jeph suffers from schizophrenia*. I mean, there are signs pointing to it, but I honestly don't believe it.

But where does that leave us? Him pandering to the base? Lack of common sense? Already mentioned author's pet syndrome?

Speaking of it, what's the next level of author's pet? Is there such a thing? Because if we haven't sped past it already, I believe we are fast approaching it.

I'm going to say it. This is bad writing. And as, I believe it was Ionathous(apologies if I got your name wrong or if I misattributed the statement) said... it's not like I'm only reading this heap of garbage because of fond memories and hoping against hope that it will get better again, when it likely never will.

Further apologies if I got the gist of the message wrong, but I'm too tired/drunk to go back and check it.

*Yes, I know I just said it. Kindly disregard me putting my foot in my mouth so overtly
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2023-03-08 at 03:39 PM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.