Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
'And what was your first choice of career?' Anika asks in honest curiosity.
"Ah yes, you made yours a reality, didn't you? Well, quiet study wasn't for me either, but when I was younger I wanted to be a Fleet Admiral."

As for the other point. 'Meaning your aunt might be unhappy with you if you left? Well from what I've heard I don't have much of a problem with her being mad at me. As long as we can avoid giving any impression that we're holding you against your will.'

Anika will glance at Macharius when the matter of a reward came up. 'I'm sure we can work something out, and leverage is always useful. Personally I am happy enough to create some distance between the Stalker and my parents.'
"Meaning I'm happy enough to stay here, if you have too many concerns about taking me on board. Absconding was not my plan."

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
When you retired? At what point would that be?

And a further question. What was the point of these "pilgrims" who were to be brought on our ships? Merely a diversion?

He chuckles ruefully. Alas, most of my foes operate outside the sector or are already enemies of the Imperium. Leverage in the Expanse is... more direct, and usually involves macrocannons. But if your information is as good as you say, surely you would know who are enemies are. Who might you have useful leverage over?

The other question, of course, is what you will do if we strike a deal and you remain on Scintilla. The Stalker is a destabilizing influence.
"Sooner rather than later, now that the evidence is out there. You want the Stalker gone for good, we can make retirement part of our deal," Alia said.

"As to the pilgrims, I'm not sure. You would have to ask my Aunt, she made the arrangements. You've seen the rosters, yes? Anyone in there who isn't a pilgrim? Since you're asking, I would guess there is, in which case I would guess that maybe they're being sent to find something in the Expanse."