Wrapped up The Last Graduate last night, I pretty much just binge read the last 90 pages, I love it when a book grabs me like that.

Ending was good. There were some aspects that I definitely saw coming, but this isn't a bad thing. More like a really satisfying payoff. The final plan however I definitely did not anticipate, but boy was it fun.

Two things I very much liked were that the PoV character gets stuff wrong, or incompletely right, but because the reader is really stuck in her view, it doesn't necessarily seem wrong until the character realizes it. This is just really solid writing. The other thing I really liked was how Orion was characterized. It would have been so easy for Galadriel's understanding of his past and desires to have been right, and have him be just this sad rescue case guy, instead of just entirely weird, emotionally pretty self sufficient, and doing his own thing.

Sadly, I won't get my copy of the next book until tomorrow, due to complicated logistical nonsense. This leaves a book shaped lacuna in my life for the rest of today, which I'm going to fill with some short stories from those humorous Amazon anthologies Esher Freisner edited back in like the nineties. These are dumb fun in a sort of reverse exploitation movie way, i.e. silly, know it, and totally off the hook content wise. Seriously, at least every fourth story would probably get the author turbo-cancelled if the sort of person interested in turbo-cancelling read ancient short story collections with babes in bronze bikinis on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Also, I'm kind of unreasonably happy that we seem to have found a book we both like? I usually like your takes on literature a lot, but we seem to disagree on almost all the books we read.
It is a nice change of pace. I always like to see what you think about books as well, even when I disagree, your opinions are interesting and well reasoned.