Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
Personally I find the whole process wears out its welcome in Stormlight, but that probably has more to do with that series' preposterously oversized nature. Rhythm of War, in particular, manages to choreograph Kaladin's big upgrade from something like 800 pages out, which means an even marginally astute reader spends an entire trilogy's worth of words knowing, broadly, the notes that are going to happen at the climax, which is absolutely ridiculous. Though admittedly this seems to have become a genre-wide problem. In general I'm really skeptical that any story needs millions of words to function.
Spoiler
Show
His breakdown and the fake out for him speaking the next oath in the third book were great swerves though, sure you knew it would come along in the next book by some means or another but Oathbringer was a gut punch in part because it broke up the pattern you sort of came to expect a little. Also the method for how he finally made peace when he had a chance to say goodbye properly Tien was an emotional uppercut. I actually teared up a bit just thinking about it.