Gurmok’s penitent submission definitely takes a certain edge off the guardswoman. “Gurmok, I am Lieutenant Haviksoog.” She personally clasps that manacles on the goblin, and says softly as she does so, “as a Zephyr Guard, I say you are breaking the law, but that doesn’t mean I think you are in the wrong. These women will be treated,” she adds the last sentence more loudly. After clasping all of you in manacles, one guard stays behind to look around, while the rest lead you out of the sewer through the north. Mood is morose and conversation discouraged. This ladder to the surface is a bit shorter. The guards readily consent to hauling Zen up as well.

It takes some time for your eyes to adjust to the light again. Once on the surface, it is a short march to the Dogtown barracks. This is a substantial structure, probably the largest in Dogtown. Before entry, a young guardsmen supplies you with copious applications of prestidigitation until you no longer stink. You are then led through a series of gates to a block of cells, mostly full of gnolls, though many humans as well, and one cell contains two halflings. Finally, you are placed two to a cell. Zen is taken to another area and they assure Gurmok that no harm will come to him. You are searched, your possessions are collected, and placed into separate bags. Though a bit demeaning, the process proceeded mechanically and without any added humiliation.

There you spend much of the day awaiting some news. The first comes after a few hours with the delivery of seedy bread, a pat of butter, and brothy soup, the guard tells you that the women are being treated and should all recover.

The sun is once again low in the sky when Lieutenant Haviksoog approaches with three other guards. She is no longer wearing a helmet and her blonde hair is put up behind her head in a ball. She unlocks your cells. “Come this way. Captain al Hisan wants to speak with you.” Still in manacles, you are led down a few corridors and, after a knock, into a room.

A handsome Nidalese man with delicate features and messy jet black hair over gray eyes sits behind a large desk. He is young - very young - probably only in his late twenties, which given his high rank suggests he’s either exceptionally talented or comes from a powerful family - probably both. “Zira, remove their bindings, please.” Haviksoog unlocks the manacles and takes them aside. She then sets them on a chair and stands quietly by the door.

“My name is Captain Ryaa al Hisan. I am responsible for seeing to the enforcement of the law in Dogtown. Among some minor infractions, I have you on murdering a non-guild affiliated merchant and his bodyguard and attempting to abscond with his chattel that he obtained through quasi-legal means. Now, there are three plausible explanations for this,” he raises a finger, “you are diehard abolitionists who are part of a concerted effort to free all the enslaved and upend the Katapeshi economy,” the second finger rises, “you thought to kill this gnoll merchant and sell his property as your own,” he raises a final finger, “you were trying to free one woman at the request of her husband, this gnoll would not have let you, attacked you and died. Now the evidence points strongly to this third option, but this is still all illegal in Katapesh, mind you. There isn’t a judge in this city who wouldn’t throw the book at you, here a minimum of two year sentence, likely with the possibility of purchase - and, if we are honest, depending on who the purchaser has cooking their books could result in lifelong service.”

He pauses for a long moment, then says, “I am a man tasked with upholding the law, but there are times when the law is imperfect, wouldn’t you agree? This woman, Sofh, would have been sold as a scholarly resource, but those other woman you liberated would have been condemned to a truly awful fate… Here is my offer: I have a problem that I need fixed - the law can’t help with it, but a bunch of do gooders like yourselves are perfect for. You take care of this, your murder and obstruction of capitalism charges will disappear and never go before a judge, and we all go home happy. What say you?”