In response to Laura's request, Mary mutters, "Sure kid," still biting down on the cigarette clenched between her teeth. Giant has an empty shot glass and a a half empty mug of flat cheap beer, but when he catches Laura looking he chimes in and says he'll have another one. Eyes still glued to her book, Bloody Mary uses her free hand to fill up two tall glasses of Abita and passes them to Laura. She then mutters, "I'll be in the back," before trudging off on squat legs through a door behind the bar into the back room.

In the time it takes Laura to bring the two glasses over, Giant takes down his incomplete beer in a series of gulps. He accepts the fresh one from Laura while simultaneously wiping his mouth with a slender branch of a forearm, bark rubbing coarsely against bark. "Thanks," he says, placing the fresh glass down on the table and moving the spent mug and shot over to the side. In reply to Laura's remark he says, "Well, Mary's trustworthy to be honest. But figured a little privacy wouldn't hurt. Look Laura... I, I mean we need your help."