1. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules X: I Cast Comprehend Rules

This one may have been already mentioned; at least I'm sure it was discussed on this forum, although maybe not in this thread.

The spell arcane spellsurge reduces casting time of arcane spells. For example, a "standard action" casting time becomes a swift action.

It cannot be ignored, though, thus it specifies that you can't cast two spells which casting times were both reduced to a swift action, because you can't use two swift actions in a round.

Except... you CAN uses two swift actions in a round. It's called "Readying an Action". With a standard action, you can ready a standard, move, swift or free action. And of course, the readying condition can be "immediately".

(Note that the original rules about readying an action don't mention the swift action, but that's only because they were introduced later in the game. The Rule Compendium clarifies that swift actions are covered by the Ready rules.)

Hence, the affirmation made by arcane spellsurge is blatantly false.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-08-09 at 06:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature