Prologue; A Dream Forgotten

“It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God!”
― Robert Chambers, The King In Yellow

“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”
― Neil Gaiman, Dream Country

Laura found herself in the court of the Yellow King. The lanterns flickered green, casting strange shadows across the blood red polished stone floors. Outside the windows, the sickle shaped moon cast a blue glow blotting out the shining black stars. Laura had stood in this hall many times, though she could not remember its beauty during her waking hours. The great hall was filled with the clatter of silverware, the din of conversation held through a throng of congregants.

Once, Laura had served here, had lived here, had been someone and something else. Of course, before that Laura had been another someone else, and now... well who was she now? How had Laura gotten here.

Roused from her musings, Laura casts her gaze across the great hall, only to realize that it is empty. No tables, no courtiers of impossible beauty, no source for the raucous chorus of voices. Though the smell of smoked meats, sugared meats, and smokey lanterns hung thick in the air, the walls of the great hall were baren, the lanterns nearly gutted. The great amber carpet that had once led to the towering throne was stained, tattered and moth-eaten. Laura's eyes followed the carpet up and up and up, to the throne, and she realized she was not alone.

A figure in tattered robes sat on the throne of antlers and thorns, a towering and familiar figure. Its eyes... all Laura could see were its eyes. Did the King have a face? Did he wear a mask? Laura could not see, or her mind would not let her. Round, white, bovine eyes stared down at Laura unblinking and full of judgement. Something shifted from deep within its billowing tattered yellow robes, maybe an arm, or a squirming animal, or something else, as The King in Yellow leaned forward to address Laura from his throne. "You left me servant. You betrayed me," the King's voice booms throughout the hallway, or maybe simply echoed within Laura's skull, "You can expect no mercy for your desertion human... but I am curious... why?"