Maggie wakes mostly refreshed. She gratefully breaks her fast on anything provided- but chooses to do the actual eating outdoors. With no apparent realization that Scruff is indeed not a human(oid), she trades bites with the badger chatting idly about her expectations for the day. Perhaps most surprisingly, she manages to eat almost as much as the oversized omnivore.

Visibly content, she begrudgingly stables Scruff to rejoin the rest of the group where they were eating. Eyebrows furrow thoughtfully as Sol describes the unusual Elf, though for the moment she manages to not interrupt. When it turns out the day's tasks include primarily reading and deciphering, Maggie relaxes a bit. "I can look around at it, for sure," she offers cheerfully. "And it occurs to me, I've got cousins who never come to the surface- and well, they seem a hair darker-skinned. Maybe this lady was the same thing, but for Elves?" she adds with a hopeful expression.

She climbs atop her chair to reach the journal, not especially concerned by the effort. Still standing, she begins to flip through it from a vantage where she can easily see the fullness of page and binding without having to hold it.

Spoiler: Crunch
Show
In my head this is linguistics? Or perhaps not even a check if it's as straightforward as reading a known language.

Also, whichever skill(s) might apply to identifying the source of a given leather. Seems like maybe know(nature)? Or a related craft?