Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
I will say, however, that this is the only model where using the terms "AFAB" and "AMAB" actually makes sense. Like so much of modern trans philosophy, this was appropriated from intersex people whom had surgical genital alteration does as infants without their consent. But, for some reason, it is now politically correct to refer to everyone in this manner, even though it doesn't make a lick of sense for a multitude of reasons.
That's just flat out wrong. (C)AMAB (coercively assigned male at birth) was coined by a non-intersex trans woman. The intersex-specific terms are IAMAB/IAFAB (intersex assigned male/female at birth) and FAMAB/FAFAB (forcibly assigned male/female at birth). Sadly, most of the posts discussing this have been deleted/the blogs changed names, so this is the only source I have right now (and I don't have time to look further). Also, why do you think using these terms for non-intersex people doesn't make sense? They simply mean "someone (usually a doctor) looked at this baby's genitals, said 'it's a boy/girl!' and wrote it down on the birth certificate". So they apply to the vast majority of people, including cis people. They don't describe how someone was raised, how someone's body looks, what chromosomes someone has... they just describe what someone was assigned at birth.