View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAIitp Part 60: Still Going Strong

1. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp Part 60: Still Going Strong

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    What does "unobservable" even mean?
    Presumably, that it can't be detected, even indirectly, with the mind or senses. I don't know for sure if that's the sense they meant it in, but I also can't think of any other potential meaning.
    Happiness can't be "observed"
    First of all, emotion and thought are both just the brain observing itself. Other peoples' happiness can also be observed and even studied; it belongs to the scientific fields of neurology and psychology, as well as the philosophical field of aesthetics.
    History can't be "observed", so does it not exist? Sure, we can look at pictures, read old books, excavate ruins; those are all parts of history, but history itself is a construct.
    I don't understand how "observing parts of history" is distinct from "observing history" or how being artificially constructed prevents something from being observed.

To be clear: I wasn't asserting that gender is unobservable; I was expressing befuddlement that Purple Eagle's link defined it that way.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Halae View Post
    None of those are observable, even if the effects upon the psyche are quite obvious.
    That's a contradiction. If something is "obvious" to you, that's because you're observing it.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-07-09 at 10:23 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.