View Single Post

Thread: Critters III! Now also in 5e!

1. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Critters III! Now also in 5e!

Hamstower
    Diminutive Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 1/2d10 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), Climb 5 ft., Burrow 5 ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (+4 Size, +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+13
    Attack: Nibble +5 melee touch (Attach)
    Full Attack: Nibble +5 melee touch (Attach)
    Space/Reach: 0 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Nibble, OW!
    Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Darkvision 60 ft.
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 5, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Skills: Balance +10, Climb +10, Hide +18, Listen +4, Move Silently +6, Spot +4, Swim +10
    Feats: Improved Initiative
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Colony (10-100)
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: ---
    Level Adjustment: ---

"Abner?? Abner wake up there's lil furry critters nibblin' on yer toes.."

"FOOM!"

"AAAIIIGH!"

As a side effect of one of Prak's many legendary oddball experiments, a group of his pet hamsters became materially unstable. Despite this, they have beaten the odds, escaped captivity, and managed to breed a small populace of potential unwelcome dangers. In celebration (he is called 'the Mad' after all), Prak gave them one of the most tortured puns around as a name.

Nibble (Ex): If the Hamstower hits with a melee Touch Attack, it attaches itself to it's opponent effectively Grappling it. The Hamstower loses it's Dexterity Bonus to AC, but has a +12 Bonus to Grapple Checks (as well as ignoring Size/Strength penalties to Grapple Checks). It can be struck with a weapon, or removed by pinning it in a Grapple.

OW! (Su): Hamstowers are notoriously unstable. If they take enough damage to reduce them to negative hit points they explode doing 1d6 force damage in a 5 ft. square.

Skills: Hamstowers have a +4 Racial Bonus on Hide and Move Silently Checks. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim Checks. They may use their Dex instead of Str modifier for Climb and Swim Checks. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb or Swim Checks.

Combat: A few Hamstowers go straight for the grapple, while the rest of their colony flees. They're darn loyal critters.

Hamstower
    "Good evening, and welcome to Mutual of Gnomeahaw's Wild Kingdom! As always, I'm your host Harlan Jergens! Today on Wild Kingdom Jim and I will be interviewing Prak the Mad, who has somehow made a new species of hamster."

That's The Worst Pun I've Ever Heard

"Good evening sir. I understand these are called Hamstowers. Can you explain why?"

"Because if you squish one, they explode. It's sort of a portmanteau of 'hamster' and 'ow'."

"Wouldn't it make more sense if it were a portmanteau of 'hamster' and 'tower'? But then I suppose they'd have to do something different. Maybe form a furry pyramid and charge as a single unit."

"Holy crap, I need to make that."

Fiercely Loyal

"Can we see them?"

"Oh, no sir. They'd swarm you to prevent damage to the rest of their family. They're fabulously loyal. They're so loyal, I'm inexplicably working on a cure."

"How goes that?"

"I'm becoming allergic to force damage."
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-05-15 at 06:29 PM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here