View Single Post

Thread: Critters III! Now also in 5e!

1. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Critters III! Now also in 5e!

Beer Pudding
    Large Ooze
    Hit Dice: 6d10+42 (76 hp)
    Initiative: -3
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 6 (-1 Size, -3 Dex), touch 6, flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+10
    Attack: Slam +5 melee (2d4+2 plus 1d4 acid)
    Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (2d4+2 plus 1d4 acid)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d4+2 plus 1d4 acid), Acid
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., Ooze traits, Dude I Smell Beer
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref -1, Will -3
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 5, Con 24, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills: Disguise +8 (beer only)
    Feats: -
    Environment: Underground, and Warm (except Desert)
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 7-9 HD (Large), 10-18 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: ---

"Dude...dude I smell beer!"

Beer Puddings are smaller, warmer weather cousins of the Black Puddings, and smell/look like pools of stout beer. They live underground, but emerge at night to eat vegetation (although they will take meat when they can get it), ruining grain and corn crops. As a side effect of their digestion, the symbiotic yeast organisms in their body give off a roasted coffee smell, much like dark stout. This smell is often the undoing of beer enthusiasts, who end up becoming the Beer Puddings next victim when they go in search of a free brew. A Beer Pudding is around 8 ft. across, and perhaps 500 pounds.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Beer Pudding hits with it's Slam Attack it may make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If successful it may Constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A Beer Pudding does Slam plus acid damage with a successful Grapple check.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material, but does not affect metal or stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals 1d4 acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 20 Reflex saves (unless the armor is metal). A wooden weapon that strikes a Beer Pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 20 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The pudding’s acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or organic objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Dude I Smell Beer! (Ex): The Pudding has a +13 Racial Bonus to Disguise checks to appear as a pool of stout, leading many creatures to attempt to drink it, allowing it a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. They will immediately realize their mistake as soon as they begins taking acid damage, but by then the pudding will have tried to nab them.

Combat: Beer Puddings are similar to most Puddings in that they just charge anything that comes within range of their Blindsight. However. many now lie in wait since they realize some victims will simply walk up to them.

Beer Pudding
    "Good evening, and welcome to Mutual of Gnomeahaw's Wild Kingdom! As always, I'm your host Harlan Jergens, and this is my soon to be inebriated assistant Jim!"

Is That Beer?

"Welcome to Dwarvenhaus!"

"Why are we at a beer hall Harlan?"

"The owners believe it's haunted Jim. People disappear here, and strange noises are heard at night."

Avoid Vat Number 12

"Why is the beer in that vat moving?

"Oh my goodness Jim! That's an Amoeba (pseudo) cervisiaria, better known as the Beer Pudding!"

"Screw this, I'm out."
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-04-23 at 09:21 PM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here