There's also the fact that John's 'psycho' actions were entirely in line with his society's values; those in power in his society want children pointlessly beating on each other so that they come to believe that abusing those weaker than you is the only way to get what you want in life, apparently to maintain their own positions of prestige and power (I'm not sure if anybody in a position of real power has made an appearance in the comic, at least that I can recall, so their motives are largely speculation at this point). Nobody stepped in until John started to look like a threat to the status quo.

Don't forget, the book that John's dad wrote (which, from what I remember, would be a pretty standard-issue superhero yarn in our world) was considered such a threat to their society simply because it portrayed someone strong protecting the weak that it was banned and John's dad has... I'm pretty sure an arrest warrant out for him, at the very least.

Was John behaving badly? Heck yes.

Was John behaving in a way that has sympathetic, relatable motives behind it, as a result of horrific, societally-enshrined child abuse, glorified bullying and mental trauma (and most likely some form(s) of mental illness)? Also heck yes.