Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
Personally, I tend to feel that sci-fi and fantasy are essentially the same genre (especially soft sci-fi and readily-available/common-magic fantasy), it's just that one calls its magic 'technology' while the other calls its technology 'magic.' Star Wars and Star Trek have the trappings of a sci-fi setting while Discworld has the trappings of a fantasy setting, more or less, thus Star Wars and Star Trek are (soft) sci-fi while Discworld is fantasy.
I mean, Girl Genius has a character essentially transported from 300 years before the main plot refer to mad scientists as wizards, and despite Sparks taking offence to the term it makes complete sense when you look at the objects they make. There's even a near certainty that a prophecy out the rightful king returning might come true, but the behind the scenes work to make that happen is addressed (and the prophecy is almost certainly apocryphal).

However I personally tend to put Star Wars in the fantasy pile. At lot of it has to do with how the franchise revolves around a pair of religions who's practitioners use magic.