Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Spoiler
Show
Which essentially comes down to the writer of the novelization caring more about the technobabble than the movie writers. The movie writers were some combination of "Didn't know" and "Didn't care" and if it was discussed at all I'm sure the response was that most of the movie-going audience would not have an understanding of interstellar travel distances and wouldn't register the absurdity. It's not worth writing around something that 90+% of your audience is not going to notice let alone actively care about.

Heck, I didn't register it at the time and I'm a Sci-Fi nerd. It's only in retrospect that it's super weird, but it's one of those things you can't unsee once it's been pointed out to you.
Spoiler
Show
Yeah, and sadly this isn't the only time Start Wars had had novelists care more about providing an explanation. Sometimes this works, like the Episode IV 'space sounds are actually the ship using sound to give you information', but I feel this is closer to
Spoiler
Show
Clone Palpatine
than that.

This case is one where it might have been better to respond with 'yes, that is strange' than give an explanation.