Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
Spoiler: Moonlighter
Show
The introduction to this subclass is succinct and funny.

Moon Shape
The third bullet point might be better worded if it was something along the lines of "you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to use Moon Shape."

I'm already imagining delightfully fun shenanigans with this feature. It's inventive. I'm having trouble figuring out the balance of it because it mostly enhances utility, but it seems fine at face value.

Beasts' Cant
This is delightful.

Moon Shape Expertise
Interesting. Your moon shape can now afford to take a hit.

I'm hesitant about this, but I think between the ability to automatically cause an attack to miss and the ability to hide in an opponents space, Moon Shape Expertise might be a little strong. Compared to other rogue subclass abilities at the same level, it offers a bit too much. My suggestion would be to cut one of the last two bullet points.

Multi-Morph
More utility, more awesomeness, more inability on my part to figure out the balance of a feature. Nothing jumps out about it to me as broken, so I think it's fine.

Moon Swarm
Well that's fun.

The boost to survivability in combination with the bonus hit points from Moon Shape Expertise makes me think this might be a bit too strong. It's right on the edge of balanced <-> too strong.

Bonus Content
Okay, that's just icing on the cake.
Thank you for the review. I definitely agree with your wording for cunning action. Moon Swarm may be a bit strong but at that level you have wizards wielding spells like Wish for the easiest example.

As for Moon Shape Expertise, my current D&D group had a player lose a character recently and the DM agreed to let him playtest this subclass. The group was level 11 and the penalty for character death is that your new character comes in at 1 level lower than the rest of the group. They usually catch up at the end of the current campaign before we swap out DMs. The auto miss rarely came up because of his tendency to remain in moon shape once transformed. Even when it did the two auto-misses per rest were not game breaking. The extra 40 hp from having two moon shapes at level 10 plus Uncanny Dodge did make for a tankier than normal rogue. Not too tanky though since that hp is wrapped up in an easy to smash low AC tiny bundle of fluff. I think my favorite part was the shenanigans he got into with an orc tribe by "hiding" on the backs of various tribe members as a spider. Lots of, "Don't move! I smash for you." He did ask me why I mentioned a murder squirrel in the intro but didn't make a stat block for a squirrel so I added that to the latest version.

Speaking of which version 3 of the moonlighter is up with the changed line in Moon shape and an additional stat block for a squirrel in the Bonus Content section.

I also updated the changelog.