Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Re 85c:I don't think this answers the question that No Brains was asking. An Acolyte, for instance, is a creature that casts spells like a 1st-level cleric. The question was not whether the Acolyte can (by any means) cast non-cleric spells; the question was whether an Acolyte could cast a cleric spell as a ritual, provided that it met the conditions. For instance, if an Acolyte prepares Detect Magic, could it then cast that spell without using a spell slot, by spending a longer time on it?
R85c: Please keep in mind that this is a strict RAW thread. The MM contains 47 instances of "ritual" or "rituals" and none of them pertain to a creature's stat block. Therefore they cannot use ritual casting RAW. I apologize for not mentioning this in my original reply. I assumed that this was known, and therefore when No Brains mentioned "class" I figured that 85c was not connected to the first two part and this person has indeed asking about class features (which creatures in the MM don't have per se). Also note that if the DM elects to change a stat block of a creature (as in your example), such as in preparing a different spell than what's listed, it's no longer RAW.