1. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q48If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?
    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A48: No. There are no RAW that burden the DM with overlaying stat bumps on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Re 48
    From MM342, top left corner:

To answer Mr. Adventurer, there is no need to adjust an NPC's ability scores. You should only do so if you feel the change would make a meaningful difference in the NPC's impression upon the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    This isn't about need, it's about 'should'. Applying any racial traits to a "humanoid (any)" creature would be a straight upgrade, since they otherwise have no additional ability score points nor racial powers.
    Re 48

To give a bit more info which is relevant and might be useful: DMG, page 279-282. It expands upon npc creation and modification, including racial trait inclusion.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2020-06-12 at 04:31 PM.