"Well, in addition to the five standard elements, there are two additional nature types accessible to theoretically anyone that are not within the elemental wheel at all: Yin Release and Yang Release, combined to become Yin-Yang release. If you are familiar with basic chakra formation you know that chakra is composed of roughly equal parts vital energy, drawn from the surplus of energy store n your body's cells which can be cultivated by good health habits, and spiritual energy cultivated by specialized training or meditation. Yang release is used in medical ninjutsu or any ninjutsu that doesn't seem to fit within the normal elemental spectrum but that affects the material world. Yin release is used in almost all genjutsu, in techniques that manipulate the immaterial, or in the case of particularly powerful techniques creating something from pure chakra. Combined, Yin-Yang release, the only hybrid release that can be used by anyone, results in techniques that manipulate the fabric of reality or create something and then imbue life into it."

"I have no direct affinity for any of the five elements, but I do have a particularly strong affinity for Yang Release. Or, in laymen's terms, I have stronger life energy than I do spiritual energy, to an unusual degree. By itself, this would not be a problem, but I also possess an inherent genetic ability--Kekkei Genkai would be the common term, though I find it somewhat unscientific, that complicates the matter."

"In addition to spiritual and vital energy, there exists a third energy naturally produced and consumed by the planet and all things living on it. There is a surplus of this natural energy that freely flows and circulates through the atmosphere imperceptible to the majority of beings. A variety of techniques exist for sensing this energy and bringing it within your body where it must be combined and balanced with your spiritual and vital energies less your body mutate and eventually turn to stone as you are reclaimed by nature. individuals who have mastered the ability to combine natural energy with their chakra are called Sages, and the techniques performed by them, enhanced by natural energy, are the sage arts, or senjutsu."

"My nameless clan's 'Kekkai Genkai' allows those it manifests in to sense natural energy without training and to draw it in and mold it into senjutsu chakra as a matter of instinct and reflex. Furthermore, we are able to deliberately alter our bodies using senjutsu chakra, weaponizing the otherwise only harmful properties of improperly done senjustsu. However, since we are constantly drawing in natural energy from the atmospheric surplus, there's a certain... defense mechanism that ensures that excess senjutsu chakra is vented. Unfortunately, this tends to cause collateral damage."

"To remove the risk of damage to myself and those around me, I have to not only regularly use up my reserves of senjutsu energy—"

Senko's fingers grow longer, turn orange, and her nails extend into shape blades not unlike the scalpel she was holding earlier.

"I must become a Sage. In order to become a Sage, I must master true senjutsu and not just my inherent transformations. In order to master senjutsu, I must have perfect or near-perfect chakra control, and the unbalanced nature of my chakra combined with the fact that my vital and spiritual energy is passively tapped to create senjutsu chakra..."

Senko's hands return to normal and she goes through a handful of hand signs. "Sage Art: Clone Jutsu!"

With a puff of smoke, a version of Senko that at best resembles a sickly pale, reanimated corpse manifests, opens its mouth to moan silently, then melts into a pile of mud with various plant and animal parts jutting out before shimmering out of existence.

"Had I attempted an ordinary clone, it would have simply resulted in a pulse of almost pure yang chakra with no effect whatsoever. a side effect of my inherent genetic abilities is that my already yang imbalanced chakra is unbalanced to the point of becoming unstable and thus, almost completely uncontrollable."

"My professional research is something I can't speak to, but my personal research is into a scientific means of either solving this instability or otherwise improving my chakra control."