Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
Validity of the feeling "nobody seems to have ever had this problem" could be judged based on where does it come from (the colleague, your observation of workplace, your discussion with other newbies). Most of the time, people who are there for 2+ weeks longer than you will seem like they have much less issues. But do not worry.
The reason I say that has to do with other people that described their first week. Aside from the inevitable mistakes and bad luck that usually happens when starting a new job, they seem to describe an opposite situation. They all said that it's OK to take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. My experience has been more, "Pick up the pace! Wasn't that already explained to you? Didn't Rory (not really a name of anyone there,) already show you how to do that? Why are you so slow?" "What do you mean you've never seen one of those before? Aren't you in school for this?"

The takeaway from being told things like that from my second day onward is 1: I'm starting out with a below average skill level for a beginner. 2: I'm here to work, not to learn.

Predictably, I'm making mistakes in trying to go faster which slows everyone down even more and increases the workload for everyone.