@WarKitty:

Dunno how the phrase it, but we're having some fragments of a conversation on certain topics on this board for quite a while now, enough for me to try and voice an opinion.

I get the feeling that you're going at the whole therapy thing with the wrong kind of expectation. Us humans are able to withstand a gratuitous amount of mental and physical punishment, both physical as well as mental and still continue of functioning more or less quite well in a sense (both despite and guided by the multination and damage we have suffered).

Any therapist worth their salt will look at you, how you are right now, how you "deviate from the norm" right now and not care about how you got there, how it was your mother, but see the "broken you" and aim to "fix this" as sorta-kinda a mental triage before tackling any deeper issues.

Let me tell you about my experience. I'm "broken goods", ok? My psychic scars run deep and I've developed ways and means to cope with everything that came up, up to the point that I thought I suffer from a "bog standard depression" and needed help - well, turned out that it wasn't and I couldn't get it, at least not in the easy way I hoped for, akin to getting a broken bone set.

All I can tell you, there is no cure. Your mum or mine, it doesn't matter who ruined us, it matters how we cope with the resulting scar tissue.