Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
Actually the above reminds me of a pretty common problem I've had in therapy - the sense that "I don't know" wasn't an acceptable answer. Trouble is that when I said "I don't know", I actually meant I don't ******* know! all the trying to get me to open up in the world or telling me therapy won't work if I'm not cooperating won't help if I actually don't know.

But working with people who never seem to believe you doesn't help. The only message I got was that I was too bad and messed up for therapy. Because even when I told the truth I obviously wasn't doing it right. After all, they were the experts, and therapy works if you try hard enough. Only people who don't want to get better aren't in therapy.
I don’t know can be a valid answer to something factual or even to how or why you’re feeling something but its hard to say you can just leave it at that. Maybe Im misreading your previous post but if a professional suggests a course of action and you refuse it and basically tell them you dont know WHY you’re refusing it, I can see why they might consider you “difficult” if theres no further elaboration on the why. Just leaving it as “I don’t know” really shouldn’t be acceptable. That should drive them to probe and try to get to the bottom of things.