View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 6

1. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So I dropped a metal bar a couple feet onto my left arm about four days ago, increasingly sure I have a minor fracture and entirely sure I can't afford to have it looked at. I'm hoping it is a bone bruise or I smacked the nerve really bad, it is fully operable and feels smooth when I grip it but my arm and hand hurt without having any noticeable bruising at all.
    Right, so the big advice is to see a doctor, but you've stated your reasons there. I won't go further down that political discussion, especially since as a Canadian the topic is literally foreign to me.

I'll say that usually (not always) a break will cause bruising. Nerve damage or muscle strain won't, but also don't usually last too long. But that's a big usually, and there's no guarantee. It could be lots of things, and nobody can diagnose it over the internet. (I think I'm already pushing the rules of the board by saying as much as I am.)

You might want to splint it or keep it in a sling when you can, just to avoid damaging it further? General first aid for a suspected break is to keep it immobile.

But really, the best bet is to go to a doctor, or at least find someone with first aid experience who can look at it for you. Is there anybody who could help you with the cost of a doctor visit? Are there any free clinics around? Maybe teaching clinics at a local university?
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2019-07-31 at 10:53 AM.