View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 6

1. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

Quote Originally Posted by lex109 View Post
    Bonus points would depend entirely on the person. I wouldn't mind flowers, etc. at home but I would be absolutely mortified if my SO sent anything of the sort to my place of work. There are also people that would find it incredibly romantic and charming, so it goes down to knowing the person you're buying for.
    In general part of the practice is to make the male look more appealing in front of those who could sway the girl's opinion of the guy (and a large component on why they can charge so much for delivering flowers). If enough of the girls co-workers say things like "<I wish my guy would send me flowers>" . . . the more bonus points generally are gained. It would seem that flower industry earns quite a bit from this set-up.

Those are traditional options. Essentially part of our public and privet mating rituals involve the male proving to the female that he is thinking of her, and that she is worth sacrificing resources (time and money) on. This is one reason why pretty rocks can be so expensive (they are not commodities, and one almost always cannot sell them for what they bought them for . . . it is a sacrifice of wealth). We are not really that different than the penguin guys bringing the penguin gals a rock (sacrificing time that could be spent getting fish, and perhaps get eaten by something while picking out a rock).

Sure the gal getting the guy equivalent might be something to do with sports or alcohol/beer. I would not much like sports stuff, but if my wife early on when dating bought me something sports related, then I would think it funny. A beer of the month might as well be funny . . . until she learned that I do not drink alcohol/beer.

But chocolate . . . not many people would be angry at chocolate. It may take a few times to get the right brand and mixture, but an assortment of all the differing types from a quality brand would be the way to go, if you did not know if she liked dark, milk, white, or whatnot.

American milk chocolate, I think, is usually not to my preferences, as it does not contain enough coco. I may be a little miffed if someone kept buying me Hershey's chocolate . . . after I told them that it does not contain the level of coco that I prefer . . . you may as well be buying me sugar flavored wax.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    See the thing for me is...bad therapy is horribly debilitating. Like "take someone from mostly functional to can't get out of bed" type level. I am literally having flashbacks a decade later to therapy. It felt worse than the abusive boyfriend I had. The nightmares I wake up to were created in therapy.

And every single one I've had issues with will say the right things up front. It's that once you're in you see that it's often not as true - like the therapist may insist that they're keeping their feelings out, but then make a face at a certain disclosure. Or suddenly become very aggressive with their line of questioning. But it just gets pushed onto you instead.
    I have learned the hard way that not all experts are qualified enough, and not all experts fit my communication needs. I have had HORRABLE doctors, and I have had HORRABLE dentists.

Some are simply horrible, and some are just not a good fit. It is like a relationship. Some folks out there are wonderful, but are just not for you.

One indicator (some correlation and some causation) of a good doctor or dentist is that they do not take HMOs/EPOs. Essentially PPOs pay more, and when a good doctor or dentist gets too many patents from being a rock star, then they cut the least profitable patients (because money). So if you have an HMOs/EPOs you might be sent to a doctor needing patients, and the reason why they might need patients is because they may be horrible. I have found really good doctors on my HMO medical plan, and a really good dentist on my non-PPO dental plan.

I was able to find a good doctor and a good dentist. I now understand why some people do not want to give up there doctor or dentist.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-01 at 10:46 AM.