View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 6

1. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Get a real diagnosis. That will let you determine the exact course of action. Therapies, medication, counseling etc are available to help manage high functioning autism. IEP’s exist for children who have special needs at school. Work with your school to get one of those started.
    She has an IEP, but not an autism diagnosis. She scored an 8 on a evaluation at school where 7 or lower is autism, and 9 and higher is not. In America they did away with Asperger's Syndrome as a diagnosis. I fear that it is now harder to obtain a diagnosis for many people like me.

We brought her to one psychiatrist and he was clueless at what more he could do that the school did not already do. I think that he was new, and the guidelines are also sort-of new. I suppose I need to try again.

Overall I think that it runs in the family and those who have had it have done fine with employment. I suppose I should not worry too much, but still I would like to address the concern. My families version must have a higher likelihood of employment.

One or two (I have four) of my nephews likely have it (so 2/6 or 3/6 of the generation including my youngest).

One nephew scored in the 99% with math, but somehow managed to pull in a C-average in high school. I am 100% certain that a diagnosis for this guy would be extremely useful to have at the moment. Now he is having trouble with a scholarship, and I am quite sure that a diagnosis would fix the issue. He will need an extreme level of support to make it in college. He could possibly be an actuary, or in finance, and would do quite well if we can get him there.

Some people, like my sister (who also likely has it), think that ignoring the issue, and not addressing it would be good for the child. I have never met anyone with Asperger's Syndrome who said that they regretted knowing how and why their minds are different. It was cathartic for me.

My other nephew (I am on the fence upon, but he has many of the traits) will likely not need anywhere near the same support level, he is quite organized, and focused. I think he will be extremely successful. He is smart, and he knows it. He is aggressive, assertive, and will likely do just fine.

My grandfather needed someone to take him under his wing in order to succeed in carpentry. He would make extra money playing poker. I think that one of my uncles had it (he would make extra money selling coins). I think that at least one of my cousins had it (~2/13 for that generation).

My cousin was the quarterback of his high school, and later was successful at carpentry. His high school girlfriend ended up being a special education teacher, later his wife, and likely greatly helped him navigate social situations. My high school girlfriend also became a special education teacher, and my wife. This is not a unique pattern. The doctor who diagnosed me smiled widely when he heard this . . . it is stereotypical.

It is difficult to diagnose in girls. In boys it is quite easy to detect (in comparison). I may have girl cousins with it that I do not know about.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-06-25 at 07:51 AM.