View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 6

1. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

Basically there is something like an 80% chance that my younger child may not be able to hold down a job. I need to figure out how best to get her to the 20% side that can could hold down a job. I am okay with her living with me forever.

It takes a lot of energy to have Aspburger's Syndrom and go to grade school, high school or college. Energy that is not going towards other things, like learning the subjects. My main objective in high-school was to blend in. High school was easy for me (show up for class, and be as an intimidating enough looking guy), but grade school (learning social skills) and college were quite difficult. College had a lack of suture and written rules that were not followed . . . the syllabus is very often a series of lies . . . basically written by the professors boss, and not the professor) . This is considerably harder to do without social skills coming naturally. It hurts that she will likely have to do the same thing.

She will likely need to master social skills that come naturally to others (social interaction). This takes time, and effort away from mastering other things. Most of the time the end result is not advantageous as compared to the general social skill level of your average person. Sometimes folks with autism become actors and actresses. I word things carefully as not to confuse people, and as a result (in part) I do okay over the phone selling insurance.

Not only does her sister likely not have high functioning autism, but she is extremely successful, athletic, pretty, popular, and smart.

I just need to figure out if there is anything I can do, in order to be proactive, and help her fall on the 20% side of the fence where she would be able to hold down a job if she wanted one.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-06-24 at 01:27 PM.