Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
What is the size of your department?

There's two plumbers: one for the "civIC center campus", and one (me) for the "public*safety campus".

Could you talk with your foreman about rearranging service orders so that you do more work outside the jail?

Not really, what's officially reported broken is what needs fixing.

This doesn't really help if your management is one of those helpful "just do the job" people, or if the issue is that jail-work is just that much of the current service order volume.

The jail is 9/10th of the Service Orders.

And if you are unionised, seniority may or may not have your back here (I don't know your seniority or workplace culture).

I'm senior enough with the City that I could transfer to another department; but then I'd be on probation again for a year, which makes my getting fired of layer off easier.

My big advantage where I'm at is no one with the City knows how best to repsir the jail plumbing fixtures here as well as I do, as often shown by my substitutes (before a decade ago city plumbers were rotated more so more plumbers had more time to have some base of experience, but a division of departments ended that), so I'm perceived as more needed here making my job more secure than elsewhere, plus my skills in doing plumbing work anywhere else have atrophied, which combined with my age makes getting up to speed and staying employed likely harder.

This morning I did get a Service Order to do a repair downstairs from the jail, which I was glad for, but I received a lesson to be careful for what I wish for as squeezing myself into where I needed to be to do the repair was painful (ironically I usually work in less confined spaces inside the jail), and I've been sore most of the day.

Anyway, thanks @Mith for your kind questions.