Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
Now that you mention it, Freefall does have a certain Larry Niven feel to it. And somehow, that story is the only one I remember of Larry Niven. Well, I remember the plot of The Ringworld Throne or maybe The Ringworld Engineers, but I mostly found those books a little confusing.
When did you read them (how old were you at the time)?

What surprises me is that Sam thinks humans are peaceful. How many times have people formed an angry mob with the intent of stringing Sam up without his pressure suit?
The way that Sam runs around in society, clearly as a member of society (the store clerk might keep themselves between him and the register, but he's not treated like a wild animal had just entered the premises, much less like a serious threat), indicate to me that he's widely regarded as a nuisance character more than anything else. The ease at which angry mobs form indicate to me that the citizens of Jean are profoundly bored people. The whole comic has a bit of a Mayberry feel to it -- all the stakes are small and the crooks are no real threat and everyone ends up with ice cream... right up until the wolf engineer reminds everyone that they are using nuclear power and trusting a few millimeters of metal to protect them from the pitiless deadliness of space or the incompetent CEO tries attempts AI genocide.