The Inn of the Desert Winds proves to be a good place to gather local information. Over the course of lunch, it doesn't take more than a few questions from Lehasti to get the innkeeper, Thabat, talking at length.

"Oh yes, we have heard of her, Her Excellency Muminofrah of Sothis, Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King, ever since she first blessed the people of Tephu with her presence. I heard that Her Excellency is in Tephu as the personal representative of the Ruby Prince himself, though I wouldn't speculate as to the exact nature of her business in the city. She is currently residing at the Palace of Gentle Reeds, a most munificient dwelling and the only one worthy of her, or so I'm told... I've never set foot inside. It's just outside the Old City. And then..."

Thabat lowers her voice, as she is about to share something of a semi-shocking nature. "Some claim that Muminofrah has summoned the haty-a many times since arriving in Tephu, and is likely to continue to do so. Her Excellency speaks for the pharaoh and expects to be obeyed at all times, you see." In a hushed whisper, she adds: "I don't know if this is true, but someone told my cousin that she has a habit of tossing those she dislikes to the crocodiles and laughing as they are eaten. She is a great lady, with great appetites, the saying goes..."