View Single Post

Thread: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

1. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I think you may have stretched the rubber band a bit too far on that one. The sex was consensual, even though Hilgya was more active comparatively in initiation. Durkon never said no. The "no means no" issue never arises.

Was his accepting her advances ... hasty? Unwise? Thinking with the second brain? Yeah.

Not consensual? Not a fair characterization.
    I understand that hiding information that would otherwise may have lead to a potential partner to deny sex is grounds to consider sex non-consensual. The example I had in mind, and which i kinda referenced, is the presence of an STD. "Would you still have had sex with them if they had told you they had AIDS?" being the exact case I am thinking - the answer (unsurprisingly) was "No" and I do believe that it was grounds for determining responsibility/culpability in a legal case.

Now, Hilgya could argue she didn't know it was relevant information to Durkon - that because she doesn't care, it means no-one should care. But besides ridiculously self-serving (which is par for the course, she's as self-centered as a spinning top), it is a ridiculous idea that she would not be aware of how most dwarves think of the problem, given that she grew in the culture ETA: and as joeltion points below (thanks!) she did know this might be an issue, since she did inquire in advance. So lets add hypocrisy to the list of issues, since she made sure there wouldn't be competition but denied Durkon the ability to give informed consent.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-07 at 10:01 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est