View Single Post

Thread: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

1. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Durkon, moreover, did not ask whether she was married, or even if she wanted to marry him, before having sex with her.
    He also did not ask her if she had any STDs. Because both are the kind of thing you expect both partners on a consensual relationship to be honest and upfront about.

Furthermore, Durkon, despite what you and Hilgya want to believe, was not the active participant in the process. Hilgya initiated it, pursued it, and deliberately hid information she knew would sink her chances in order to bone him. If a man lied to a women to have sex with her, what would you call that man? And why do you give Hilgya a pass when she did the same?

But Durkon is supposed to be this model of lawfulness, and I would have expected him to not have sex outside marriage in the first place if he is so very holier-than-thou and doesn't believe in divorce.
    Interesting assumptions in which you must rely for Durkon to look bad.

1) You do not know and cannot assume that Durkon has a problem with sex out of wedlock. In fact, evidence in the comic is that he does not.
    2) You do not know and cannot assume that Durkon has a problem with divorce.

What you do have to assume is that Durkon has a problem with being denied information crucial to making an informed decision regarding a consensual relationship. The fact that Hilgya hid said relevant information is sufficient, as far as I know, to stop calling their sex consensual.

I would, furthermore, have expected him to not have unprotected sex at all, but again, he apparently did.
    I'm sorry, why is only Durkon being blamed for this? Aren't both partners responsible for ensuring safe sex? Blaming ONLY Durkon for this is quite sexist on your part.

You are grasping at straws. "Go back to your husband" - those are not the words of someone who considers divorce a valid option.
    They are, if divorce requires both partners to be involved in the process. More to the point, given the reality of Dwarven marriage, divorce will involve the clans that arranged the marriage in the first place. It is not something Durkon can provide or assist with.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-07 at 09:41 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est