View Single Post

Thread: Xorian Wars: Alliance and Rebellion

1. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Xorian Wars: Alliance and Rebellion

Alliance Session #65/Total Session #81
    Everyone was in attendance.

The general feeling of the group was that their plan had gone sour. They could continue to fight and hopefully take out two or three of their opponents permanently, but in the process all of the ragtag band of Exiles would die.
    Tagenadi spurred towards Hektor, dodging past Jevaninada and Darudanano on the way. “HEKTOR! GET US OUT OF HERE!” Tagenadi shouted with commanding force.
    Hektor jumped to action. He had planned for the scenario they encountered now, with the overwhelming force of the Dragovinian elite bearing down on them. He enacted his most powerful magic. Using a wish spell Hektor teleported all of his allies to Erebos. Additionally, his magic pulled at the Dragovinians and dragons, trying to bring them along into Hell. He'd planned for Hades to join their fight in the Underworld and tip the scales in the Exiles’ favor. Unfortunately, each and every one of their enemies resisted the transportation magic. None of them came along into Hell. The party made their escape, but none of their foes were trapped.

Dusting themselves off the party members looked around, taking in their desolate surroundings. Wandering souls shuffled by on wispy feet. Dust swirled in the air. Mountains and dry rivers could be spotted in the distance. Far overhead stalactites hung down from the rocky ceiling. Zelus set to healing everyone’s wounds and reviving Eathirilu. As he finished his work, the cavern darkened, as if a cloud had passed over the nebulous light that suffused the vast space.
    Grey smoke surrounded the party and out the smoke stepped the Lord of the Underworld. Clad in eerily real bone armor he stared at the party with sooty steel eyes. A thin smile played on his grey lips between his black beard. “You have the ingredients of the prophecy. I can feel them.”
    The party stood, stunned for a moment. Hektor answered first, “No we don’t... What makes you think that?”
    “Do not lie to ME, mortal!” Hades spat out the last word. “I can sense them on your person. You will give them to me.” The smoke behind Hades crackled with electricity. The charged smoke shot forth towards Tagenadi, encircling him and digging into him. Tagenadi struggled silently, moving in shudders and gasps. The dark magic sought to control him. He fought it off using every ounce of his training. The smoke retreated.
    “You resist me? Impossible!” Hades thrust his hand forward as if holding an invisible goblet. The smoke surged towards Tagenadi once more. The crusader was exhausted from fighting off the first attempt to control his skeleton body, but he would not give up. Tagenadi shuddered as the smoke entered his bones. The darkness coiled within him, seeking to control his essence. For a moment it felt as if the Lord of the Dead was inside Tagenadi’s very soul. As he felt Hades take control, Tagenadi shouted, “No! You shall not have me!” A burst of light erupted from within Tagenadi. The black smoke was flung from his body back to the cloud from whence it came. “You control me no longer Hades. I am free.”
    “You reject me? In my own realm? You have grown stronger than I thought possible. Then I am forced to bargain and convince you to give me the prophecy reagents, the Bones of Hephaestus, the Rock of Prometheus, and the Black Kelp Plant.”
    Zelus sensed something changed in Tagenadi. The death knight was no longer bound to Hades, but the connection was already beginning to rebuild. Zelus could free Tagenadi now and forever by restoring his corporeal flesh. Perhaps he could even free him after they left the Underworld. Tagenadi had often voiced his longing for his old body. Zelus kept the possibility of rejuvenation to himself. It was not suitable for one god to steal the servant of another.
    Eathirilu stepped forward, “Okay, we do have the pieces of the prophecy. If we give them to you, what will you do?”
    “I will emerge from the Underworld and take my rightful place on the throne of Mount Olympus! I was born first! Don’t let that fool, Zeus, trick you! I was the first to come forth from Rhea’s womb, but Cronos gobbled me up, stealing my birthright. It should’ve been me that ruled in the sky and Zeus the one exiled to the depths of the Earth. Was it not I that gave the Hecatonchires a place in our realm so that they would join our side? Do I not deserve a more just reward, more just than this?!?!” Hades swept his arms around and the smoke dissipated revealing the stark, lifeless Underworld.
    “You ask me what I will do? I will go to the world above and make war upon my brothers. If they do not submit to my rule, then I will throw them down into the pit of Tartarus. See how they enjoy the company of our father and his ilk! I will remake the world! A better world, where the eldest and wisest rule instead of that insipid, lovestruck fool you call Father of All the Gods!”
    Eathirilu pondered what Hades said, then spoke, “You are right. Zeus is eldest in a way, but you are eldest in a way as well. I cannot favor one of you over the other.” Eathirilu pulled out his red brick from Lemnos and stepped forward. He placed the brick at the feet of Pluto. Hektor stared at him aghast. Tagenadi was similarly astonished, but he was still recovering from his rejection of Hades’s sovereignty.
    “Excellent. I am sure we will find a place for druids in the new realm.”
    Barakah came forward from the rest of the group, “Great Master of the Underworld, could there be a place at your side for one such as me?”
    “A King of the Giants? Of course, your aid would be welcome and you would receive rewards befitting your station. Wine, food, and wealth beyond your imagining.”
    “Hmmm… Good.” Barakah stepped back to stand beside Eathirilu and Zelus.
    Zelus said, “I feel the same as Eathirilu. I serve the leader of the Olympians. It is not my place to choose who that is.”
    Hektor took three steps forward, “And what would this new realm of yours be, Lord of the Dead? Something akin to your kingdom here? Desolate and ruined?”
    Hades answered, “I will not lie, there will be devastation brought about by my ascension to the world above. Poseidon will not relinquish the position he has taken. The upstart, Blendegad, will be dealt with as well along with all of his servants. The war will be…costly. The greatest war since the Titanomachy perhaps. Cities will fall. The earth will tremble. Forests will burn. Land and sea will be reshaped. The new world will not be the same as the old. Many will die, but mortals will survive and flourish in the new world I create. You need have no fear of that.”
    Hektor said, “I have fought numerous battles, journeyed to the realm of the dead and back, and slain many foes for this war. I have sacrificed my court position, my romantic life, and my wealth for this war. I have lost my most loyal servant, my people, and my king! AND I HAVE NOT LOST THESE THINGS SO THAT YOU COULD DESTROY EVERYTHING ELSE!” Hektor snapped his staff of the magi upon his knee. The destructive force flew forth from the ruptured artifact. The others were blown back by the explosion. When they looked again, Hektor was gone.

Spoiler: Large Image
    Show

Spoiler: Hektor’s Journey
    Show
    Hektor’s breaking of the staff took him to the Elemental Plane of Earth. His shapechange was still active so he morphed into a earth elemental. Hektor fortunately had a few scrolls of plane shift with him. He used one to return to the Material Plane. He teleported to Lakatia and informed his subjects about what had happened. He then told them he was headed to Jipangu to speak with the Alliance and teleported away once again.

Hades’s armor was scoured by ash. A frown crossed his face and then turned into a bared teeth. Hektor was the one carrying the Black Kelp Plant and the dust from the Rock of Prometheus. Without them, Hades could not perform the ritual. “Begone! I wish to see no more of you!” Black smoke enveloped the party.

The smoke left the party at the exit of a cave. Behind them stairs led down into the blackness. A silver-haired woman stood at the entrance to the cave. She was clad in bearskins and wore various charms. Leaning towards the Exiles on her staff, she greeted them, “I am Alkmene, sent here to guide you in the workings of the Druid’s Prophecy. I am the last of the Semanarie Druids entrusted with the Prophecy.”
    The party introduced themselves and took a moment to rest after their visit to Erebos. Once in good condition they told Alkmene, “We have all the pieces of the Prophecy to revive Zeus except the Pitchfork. What more could you offer us?”
    “You have the pieces, yes, but you do not know the order they go in.”
    Hektor said, “We could figure it out. The Prophecy doesn’t say the order, but it gives other descriptions.”
    “True. You may perform the Prophecy correctly even you do not share my mystical senses for the intricacies of the ritual. However, I think it best that I be the one to perform the ritual. And perhaps it would be best if the rest of your group were not gathered closeby the cauldron if you take my meaning.”
    Eathirilu spoke, “Does the ritual kill the one who performs it?”
    Alkmene looked down, “I will not say.”
    “We will be glad for your help, wise druid,” said Eathirilu.
    “And I am glad to provide it.”

The party teleported to Jipangu along with Alkmene. They briefed the Alliance Council on the events of the battle and their subsequent visit to Erebos. The Xorians had surely lost many troops, but the Lich Shade likely had no way to retreat and was presumed to be wiped out. The Council members agreed to magically scout the area over the coming days to try and create a body count.
    The party rested and on the next day decided to collect another piece of the Druid’s Prophecy, the Pitchfork of Ruin that had “slain” Zeus. The Pitchfork belonged to the powerful monster, the Dahak of Greshendale. Previously, the Dahak had promised the Pitchfork of Ruin in exchange for the Exiles upsetting the delicate political situation in Nomingburg (Alliance Session #37/Total Session #48). The party accomplished this by arranging for the death of Nomingburg’s leader, Duke Jingo (Alliance Session #49/Total Session #64 and Alliance Session #50/Total Session #66). Having completed their end of the bargain, one would assume that the Dahak would hand over the Pitchfork and that would be the end of it. Unfortunately, the party had also been tricked by Hermes into destroying the Dahak’s favorite city, Greshendale, by pulling it out of the sky (Alliance Session #52/Total Session #68). Would the Dahak honor his deal or attack the Exiles on sight? Not wanting to be caught unawares, the Exiles buffed themselves to high heaven before teleporting to the site of Greshendale’s crash.
    The city was thoroughly ruined. Buildings smashed, timbers burned, possessions and corpses abandoned. A few fires still smoldered in the wreckage. A ways away tent village had sprung up, presumably occupied by survivors. A fort constructed from wooden timbers, stone, and metal could be seen close to the refugee camp as well. The Exiles path did not lead to the camp though.
    The Dahak’s home was inside the broken volcano that was once the city of Greshendale. They entered the mountain through a utility access manhole they’d used previously. Down, down through the shattered passageways they traveled until they reached the volcano’s core. Warm lava pulsed beneath rocky pillars and walkways. Amidst the magma and sulfurous smoke stood the Dahak. His eleven foot humanoid body, unrestricted by mortal skin, showed considerable muscle mass on a strong skeletal frame. The beast’s head was that of a human skull with enormous rams’ horns curving out from the sides. Flames flickered atop the skull and inside the eyes. The monster clutched the Pitchfork of Ruin in its left hand.
    “You have returned and Nomingburg is divided.”
    The party clutched their weapons. Hektor said, “Yes. Will you give us the Pitchfork?”
    “I shall.” The Dahak tossed the Pitchfork towards the Exiles. It spun through the air and landed point down, embedded in the stone. Lava began oozing from the puncture.
    Hektor yanked the Pitchfork out of the volcanic rock. The lava flow stopped. “And the city of Greshendale? Are we cool?”
    “There will come a time when all will be equalized. Of that you have no need to fear.” The Dahak leaned forwards and the party could’ve sworn that the skull grinned even wider than its sick rictus. “Or perhaps fear is needed.”
    Hektor frowned and stowed the Pitchfork in his portable hole. “I pray that day will never come. We got what we came for,” he said to the party. “Let’s go.”
    The Exiles walked out of the volcano and teleported back to Jipangu with their mission accomplished.

One final piece of the Druid’s Prophecy remained, a song “better than the gods.” Orpheus certainly qualified, but being dead his voice was controlled by Hades. The Lord of the Underworld’s grudge against Zeus, essentially prevented the use of Orpheus’s voice for the ritual. Fortunately, Amalius had heard Orpheus sing while in the Underworld and his eidetic memory might allow him to replicate it for the ritual.
    The Exiles approached Amalius, hoping that he would work for them. Amalius admitted that he remembered the song perfectly, but he could not perform it himself. He might have an appropriate singer by tomorrow. The psion wanted something in exchange for his assistance though. He asked for nothing less than Zelus’s divine spark.
    Surprisingly, Zelus agreed. He was willing to do anything for Zeus, even sacrifice his divinity.
    The next day Amalius revealed the potential singer, Dillon the castrato, a freshly freed slave from Aractrasg. Amalius mentally linked with Dillon to recreate the beautiful music that Orpheus sang in the Halls of the Dead. Sadly, the song was not good enough. Zelus judged it poorer than Apollo’s voice and thus not better than the gods.
    “Is there something else we could try?” said Hektor.
    “Perhaps…” said Danar. “My old friend Gorwinua. She had a voice that people often said was the best since Orpheus. Maybe she’d be good enough.”
    Zelus said, “Ah yes. I remember her. She was good, but never quite good enough to beat Apollo in a contest.”
    Hektor asked, “What if she linked with Amalius to recreate Orpheus’s music?”
    Zelus digested the idea and then said, “Yes. That would most likely be a song better than any that Apollo could sing.”
    “Great!” said Hektor. “Then let’s bring Gorwinua here and do the ritual.”
    “That’s the thing,” said Danar. “She’s not quite alive and not quite dead. She went into an eternal slumber just like me, only to be reawakened when one of the Orbs of Dragonkind broke. She’s the insurance policy for the White Orb.”
    “So… She’s useless to us,” said Tagenadi.
    “Well...” said Danar.
    “We could break the White Orb and release Tikanile from inside,” said Eathirilu. “That would bring Gorwinua back. It may not be something we relish doing, but it’s the lesser of two evils.”
    “Everyone okay with destroying the White Orb of Dragonkind to save the world?” said Hektor.
    Murmurs of assent filled the room.
    “Then it’s settled. Let’s begin planning.”

The session ended there. The party spent some time preparing and examining different ways of obtaining the White Orb outside of the session. I’ll put those below.

First, where was the White Orb of Dragonkind? It’s previous storage location was in one of the minor calderas of Greshendale, just as the Red Orb had been before Amalius destroyed it. The fall of Greshendale just might’ve changed where the White Orb was kept though. Zelus, having some sense for the location of artifacts as powerful as the Orb, cast out his senses. He divined that the White Orb was now kept at the Museum of Power in Nox, the capital of Xoria. Presumably it had been transported there for safekeeping after the destruction of Greshendale.
    What is the Museum of Power? It’s a metal structure in the central district of Nox. The gods themselves created the building out of adamantine to house powerful artifacts that might be too strong for mortals to wield. Numerous traps protect the artifacts as well as the giant, Argus. The Museum does not technically belong to the Xorians, it is merely under their protection. Regardless, they have taken to using it as a personal armory since the start of the Second Alliance War.

Spoiler: Argus Backstory
    Show
    Argus Panoptes was the giant set to watch over Zeus's lover, Io, by Hera. Io had been transformed into the shape of a beautiful white cow which especially insulted Hera as her symbolic animal is a cow. Zeus insisted that Io was just a cow, but Hera did not believe him, hence the guard so that Io could not become a human again.

Argus made a particularly good guard because he could see in every direction and he never slept, only resting a few of his eyes at any particular moment. Hermes managed to make all the eyes fall asleep at once by singing a lullaby. Hermes then cut off Argus's head. Io was freed, but then Hera tormented her by sending gadflies to bite her for all eternity. The place where Argus watched over Io became known as Argos.

Prior to his task of watching over adulterous cow women, Argus slew the Mother of all Monsters, Echidna.

Spoiler: Other Artifacts in the Museum
    Show
    Sanguine Belt of the Night Mother: Gives dark power to succeed at any task, but the power comes at the cost of your life-force.
    Mace of Slaughter: The mace drains a piece of the victim's soul out of their body with each blow. This energy is transferred to the wielder, empowering them.
    Invisible Ring of Cats: Makes one dexterous and uncatchable, but easily distracted. Occasionally the wearer will latch onto one seemingly inconsequential goal and pursue it at all costs.
    Crescent of Wrath: A hateful weapon that destroys all it touchs. If you seek to loot your opponents after defeating them, this isn't the weapon for you.
    Fork of Horripilation: A simple weapon that seems to randomly either drain a person of magic completely or empower them, giving them resistance to magic and greater force with their own spells.
    Ten League Boots: These boots allow the wearer to go ten leagues with each step.
    Face of Gods: All past wearers of the mask are known for great diplomatic accomplishments, but also being big *******s in private when not wearing the mask. Some say the mask drains your Charisma when you're not wearing it to give you a bonus when you are.
    Ring of Impervious: Makes the wearer resistant to all attacks, but comes with a hidden drawback that has led to the death of all who wear the ring.
    Prismatic Blade: It's a shimmering blade with all the colors of the rainbow flowing across its surface. The sword applies a prismatic effect to whomever it strikes.
    Sin’s Mask: A horrifying mask that gives one the power of a vampiric monster.
    Shadowstaff: As in the DMG.
    Staff of Not: Prevents the actions of others when wielded, but traps the wielder as well.
    Ring of Draconic Wizardry: Grants one extra spell per day at every spell level to arcane casters.
    Orb of Omniscience: Staring into the Orb grants one all the secrets of the universe, if you can indeed handle such knowledge.
    Hammer of Thunderbolts: As in the DMG.
    Deck of Many Things: I have my own version, but you know what this does.
    Staff of the Magi: As in the DMG.

The Xorians take important political guests on tours of the Museum of Power. These tours are always led by the King of Xoria and/or the Curator of the Museum who live in a nearby building. Argus stands motionless in the center of the Museum’s one room while the guests are led around from exhibit to exhibit. The giant sleeps with some of his eyes and watches with the rest. Different guests have recorded the placement of artifacts within the Museum, but their maps do not line up indicating that the items are shuffled after each tour.

Zelus cast a commune spell and opened his godly mind to answer questions. (I don’t strictly enforce the time restrictions on commune if you were wondering)
    Spoiler: Commune Questions
    Show
    1. Besides Argus, does the museum have any other powerful guardians who pose a threat to us?
    Yes.
    2. Will the Cap of Hades allow Tagendai to pass undetected by Argus?
    It will turn him invisible, but perhaps not undetectable.
    3. Are there other detection systems that would not be fooled by the Cap of Hades?
    Yes.
    4. Is there any system or magical protection which will alert the Blendegad, the Rages, or the other elite Xorians?
    Yes, there are alarm systems.
    5. Will Blendegad, the Rages, or the other elite Xorians arrive within 10 seconds of being notified?
    No.
    6. Will Blendegad, the Rages, or the other elite Xorians arrive within 1 minute of being notified?
    Yes, probably within 1 minute.
    7. Would a mage's disjunction likely dispel the protective effects and let us teleport away with artifacts?
    A mage's disjunction would not be a good idea.
    8. Would stealing multiple Artifacts create any backlash that would not be triggered by stealing a single artifact?
    Unclear.
    9. What are we missing?
    In, Out, Where, Dragons, Argus.
    10. Does Gorwinua actually have a “voice better than the gods” as described in the Prophecy?
    Yes.
    11. Is it necessary to have her psychically linked with Amalius to fulfill the Prophecy?
    Yes.
    12. Can we teleport or dimensionally shift away from the museum freely?
    No.
    13. If we leave the museum, can we then teleport or dimensionally shift away freely, even if we are carrying artifacts from the museum?
    Depends on the artifact.
    14. Can Hektor wear the Cap of Hades to go undetected without adverse effects?
    Yes, for the most part.
    15. Would a disintegrate spell breach the outside of the museum?
    No.
    16. Is the White Orb of Dragonkind magically secured so that we could not remove it easily?
    Yes.
    17. How can we breach the walls of the Museum of Power?
    Ram, lockpicks, or Curator.
    18. Will magical effects within the Museum of Power disrupt our magic?
    Some spells, but not all.
    19. Will an antimagic field disable the magical effects, spells, and traps present in the MoP?
    Some, but not all.
    20. Who were the “dragons” we were forgetting?
    Shivara, Kovan'rorshac, and Cordax.
    21. Could the Dragon Orb guardians be swayed to our side?
    No.
    22. Are the Dragon Orb guardians unable to be swayed due to magical, godly, or mundane influences?
    Bound by blood to Blendegad.
    23. Would a wish spell allow us to escape from the museum?
    Possibly.
    24. Could an Olympian retrieve the white dragon orb?
    With difficulty.
    25. Who built the Museum of Power?
    The Hecatonchires.
    26. Could the Hecatonchires unmake the Museum of Power?
    Yes.
    27. What price would the The Hecatonchires charge to unmake the Museum of Power?
    No price would sway them.
    28. What would sway them?
    Zeus.
    29. Would the Hecatonchires be willing to help us if they knew our goal was to free Zeus?
    Yes, if more gods asked.
    30. Would Argus be vulnerable to a maze spell?
    No.
    31. If the Hecatonchires helps us, what obstacles would remain?
    The dragons and the vampires.
    32. If we have the White Dragon Orb can we remove it from the museum nonmagically and then teleport away?
    Yes.
    33. If we remove the White Dragon Orb, will its guardian show up immediately?
    Yes.
    34. How can we delay the arrival of the Rages?
    Diversion, sacrifice, or magic.
    35. Is Amalius planning on betraying us or will he help to bring Zeus back?
    Betrayal.
    36. How can we prevent Amalius from betraying us?
    Dominate him.
    37. How can we catch Amalius off guard?
    Amalgami's plan.
    38. What is Amalgami's plan?
    Amalganus, Korm, and antimagic.
    39. Which Gods should we avoid consulting?
    The armorless.
    40. Among the Olympians that still claim allegiance to Zeus, do any not want Zeus to return?
    Poseidon.

As you can see the questions had a progression from one plan to assault the Museum of Power to an entirely different plan. At first the group wanted to do a smash and grab. Then they realized the Museum’s defenses might be beyond their ability circumvent in the time required before Dragovinian reinforcements showed up.
    Interestingly, the party learned that the White, Black, and Green Orbs of Dragonkind were all kept in the Museum of Power. Greshendale held five Orbs in the past, Red, White, Black, Green, and Silver. The Exiles destroyed the Red Orb and the Xorians must’ve taken the White, Black, and Green Orbs, but what of the Silver Orb?
    As the group found the defenses too strong, their questions turned towards the orchestration of a divine intervention event. How could they influence the gods to help them directly? The Olympians were strong, but why not something older and better? The Hecatonchires! Briareus, Kottos, and Gyges, the brothers of the Titans. The hundred-handed ones were imprisoned by Uranos before the dawn of time. Cronos freed them during his rebellion against their father, only to cast them back into the pit when he took the throne. Zeus, likewise, freed them during his Rebellion against Cronos. When the Olympians emerged victorious, Zeus offered the Hecatonchires any reward they wished. They asked for nothing, but to left in peace in the only home they now knew, Tartarus.
    With a plan in mind to bring the Hecatonchires into the war, the party used the last few questions of their commune to investigate the loyalty of their frenemy, Amalius. Surprise! He’s not entirely trustworthy! Plans were discussed, but nothing concrete was decided upon.

The update endeth here!
    Last edited by Anxe; 2024-02-10 at 01:04 AM.