Thread: Dungeon Master [DM/GM] Registry

1. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Dungeon Master [DM/GM] Registry

Name:
    Inexorabletruth
    Availability to Host Campaigns:
    I'm currently available to run 5E campaigns only.
    Contact Information:
    PM, please.
    Posting Frequency:
    1-3 times/week, and I check the Playground and Myth Weavers 4-5 times per week.
    Systems You Can Run:
    D&D 3.5, D&D 5E
    Preferred Campaign Types:
    Open, sandbox campaigns with a heavy emphasis on RP and world emersion. I prefer to run games with low tier, low optimization characters.*
    Sample Game Threads:

Current Games:
    I'm not running any games at the moment, but I'm interested in running 5E games from now on.
    Future Games:
    I've been kicking around a few game ideas in my head. Most of these are simple, kick-in-the-door types meant for short, low-level runs. I tend to only run one campaign at a time, but if there is interest, I can be prodded into running a second one sometimes. I will only run one sandbox at a time though.

Spoiler: Overlords: Evil Campaign
    Show

I've run this campaign once before, and only called it Evil Campaign. Anyway, this is a mid-level monster campaign with the Leadership feat as a requirement. You will be commanding teams/squads/armies as you level up, and conquer all the realms of Oerth, or die trying. There is a war mechanic involved, so having a gift for strategy helps in this game. I've been told this is the most chilling and unsettling campaign I've ever run. So Paladin's-at-heart need not apply. You're going to explore your darker self in this game, and in the end you will probably feel emotionally exhausted and a little ashamed. But you will remember this campaign for years to come.

Spoiler: Quest for the Rainbow Fortress
    Show

TBD

More about me and my DM style, spoilered in case it's too long.

Spoiler: My Promise to You: TL;DR I'm busy but I try not to keep players hanging.
    Show
    I have a lot of illnesses and injuries that keep me in and out of the hospital, and I have a family that I love to spend my healthy days with. Because of this, there may come times when I can't post daily. However, when possible, I try to warn players of an impending lull in posting frequency. I expect the same from my players. After all, it's only a game, but it is a game where we count on each other to have fun. I'd like to think that I'm a very reliable DM.

Spoiler: My DM Personality: TL;DR I love RP, deep immersion, and backstories that integrate with the campaign.
    Show

The Role of Roleplaying In 3.5, it was customary to give RPXP for darn good RP. But 5E doesn't work very well like that. I won't be giving RPXP out, but that's fine. Good roleplaying is its own reward. Instead, I'm bringing back called shots. Call your shot, and roll with Disadvantage. If you hit... you crit. Or, if you'd like to roll with Advantage instead, follow the rule of cool and roll some Athletics/Acrobatics checks. So, with some cool combat RP, you can either boost your attack or boost your damage. Just remember to draw us a mental picture so we can see how awesome you look while you're doing it!

A note on deep immersion. My campaigns are almost always held in a mapped setting, like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. I do this because I want the players to be able to build backstories that relate to the world around them. Players who really get their characters involved in their world receive benefits that players with generic backgrounds won't necessarily receive. For instance, an adventurer who is an orphan from a distant land will be treated like any other stranger or tourist, which will grant them a certain degree of anonymity if they wish to be sneaky. However, the local son/daughter of the apothecaries that owe rent to the town mogul will have friends and acquaintances in town that will owe them favors or will offer them room and board. Also, their parents would naturally want to give them free food and free non-magical medicine but may have a harder time earning a reputation as a hardened adventurer. In combat, the person who climbs the tree to ambush an enemy or wall kicks off a rock to leap higher into the air will gain advantages to their attack or damage if they pass certain skill checks. The point is, the world is interactive, and I like to reward players who interact with that world.

A note on backstories, class/race fluff, and feat fluff. They don't have to be a novel to be good, but I really enjoy getting inside the character's heads. I build spin-off sub-plots for each character if I have enough to build off of. These sub-plots can be anything from a love interest, to an arch-nemesis. From chores at home that your parents or spouse wish you would do to secret missions from criminal or government agencies. Big or small, mundane or magical: these sub-plots help you build RPXP and gain special items that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. So when building a back story, try to bear in mind who your family, friends, and enemies are, where you are from, and what you did before you were an adventurer. Feel free to work within the lore of the setting, and the factors of your race/class combo, whether your intent is to represent those aspects, defy them, or cherry-pick your ideals from them. The more I have to work with, the better your story gets.

A note on cultural "norms" in my settings. My settings generally accommodate for as much RP as the players want their characters to have. And therefore, in general, my settings are panromantic and bereft of gender biases in most civilizations (except where expressly stated in official lore, I'm looking at you, drow). This basically allows any PC to have a fair shot in society regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation.

D&D characters are... inherently racist, or at least racial because the racial biases and stereotypes are built right into the templates and lore. In those cases, I yield to the intended purposes of the game design for creating racial tension. Also, more exotic races will be looked upon with curiosity or fear. More common races will be looked upon with acceptance or prejudice. And some races will, at large, simply not get along with other races (again, I'm looking at you, drow).

Please understand. IRL, I abhor racism. I feel it's a horrid thing and requires constant vigilance and upkeep to shed it from our society, and I hope one day we will rise above it as a species. However, for the purposes of this game, you can expect to see characters in the setting who may treat you differently because of your race (sometimes better, sometimes worse).

In regards to romance and intimacy, anything above PG needs to stay "off-camera." And refrain from writing steamy romance novels in your posts. You and your partner(s) can exchange knowing glances as they sneak off to a hotel room, and let's just leave it at that. I say PG instead of G, because you're allowed to be apex adventurers... the proverbial rock stars and power players of the world. I'd hardly expect the barbarian, rogue, or bard to be utterly chaste. They're going to get drunk, flirt with the staff at the local tavern, maybe get involved in some shenanigans, or possibly have some kind of deviant habit. I've seen it all before. But as far as the more steamy acts of romance are involved, if you haven't seen the level of intimacy you wish to describe in the Order of the Stick comics, then it's best to leave it off-camera.

Spoiler: My House Rules
    Show

Spoiler: The 24 Hour Rule
    Show

Standard world exploration is out of initiative, and therefore you can post when you want, and I post the consequences in the order in which the appear. Combat, however, is in initiative order, and in order to streamline combat without compromising advanced tactics, initiative feats, etc, I expect players to post in initiative order within 24 hours of it being their turn.

If you fail to post in 24 hours of it being your turn, I will delay your initiative until the end of the round. If you do not post again by the end of the round, I will skip your turn and send you a PM.

If I don't get a response from you within 24 hours, I will skip your turn until the end of the encounter and PM you again.

Once the encounter is over, if you still haven't taken control of your character, I will put your character on an off-camera "side quest" that will give them a reason to not be traveling with the main group, then send you a final invitation to rejoin the campaign. If you do not reply, or if you state that you do not wish to rejoin the group, I'll note your character as "On Break". At my discretion, your character will be removed from the campaign permanently, and I will reopen recruitment to find a replacement.

Any player who has been approved to join my campaigns and left has my approval to rejoin my campaign unless I have you ejected* from the campaign. Instances that can cause being ejected from a campaign will be the kind of actions that could also get our thread locked or yourself banned from GitP, or by being so overwhelmingly and unyieldingly unpleasant for the group to play with that the majority of the group wants you out because you are ruining the game. However, before ejection, I will PM you and discuss solutions for creating a less hostile gaming environment without resorting to ejection.

*I have never had to eject someone from a campaign. And I have only ever had to discuss with a player solutions for their anti-cohesive OOC behavior/attitude a few times, and those instances certainly weren't from PbPs on the Playground when that happened. I sincerely doubt I will ever have to break my perfect GitP record, but I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the terms and conditions.

Spoiler: Alchemical Homebrew House Rule
    Show
    New alchemical items can be created by researching and harvesting items purchased in shops, found in nature, or just lying around sometimes. When in doubt, roll an INT check, or ask an apothecary.

Spoiler: My References: TL;DR, this is a list of people I've played many games with.
    Show
    If you really want to know what kind of DM I am, these are the people to ask (in alphabetical order):
    Dr.Gunsforhands
    esorscher
    Lexin,
    missmvicious
    Ragged Angel
    and Vixsor Lumin.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2021-08-09 at 07:55 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development