View Single Post

Thread: Upcoming TABLE Code Changes

1. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Re: Upcoming TABLE Code Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    So does anyone have any advice on the best way to convert very large tables into the new format? In addition to a lot of homebrew work, I have a giant Excel spreadsheet...
    It's pretty easy in Excel, because you can add cells/strings together in Excel. For instance, I went to your X stat to Y thread and opened the AC thread. I copy/pasted that table into Excel, starting at A2 -- I left a blank line at the top (I'll tell you why in a moment). Excel put it each table cell into a separate Excel cell.

The AC table that way took up cells A2 to H56.
    Above the top right corner of the table, in cell I1 I put this: [/tb][tb]
    To the right of the first line under the header, in cell I3, I put in the following:
    ="[tr][tb]"&A4&$I$1&B4&$I$1&C4&$I$1&D4&$I$1&E4&$I$1&F4&$I$1& G4&$I$1&"[/tb][/tr]"
    I then dragged the mouse from that cell down to the bottom of the table (I selected I3 to I56). I then hit Ctrl+D to make the formula in the top cell that I'd selected copy itself through all the cells below it.

In cell H1 I put this: [/th][th]
    I then copy/pasted the formula in cell I3 into Notepad and did a find/replace for $I$1 to $H$1 then copy/pasted that into cell I2.

Then all you need to do is to write this down on the page:
    {table="class: grid"]
    [/table]
    Then copy/paste everything from $I2 to $I56 in the middle. It will look like this:
    Code:
    {table="class: grid"]
    [tr][tb][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Apparition Ribbon[/tb][tb]Feat or Class[/tb][tb]Magic of Incarnum[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Arcane Duelist 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Online[/tb][tb]NA[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Ascetic Mage[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Complete Adventurer[/tb][tb]105[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Astral Stalker (+6 LA)[/tb][tb]Race[/tb][tb]MM3[/tb][tb]12[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Battle Dancer[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]DragMag#159/DragComp[/tb][tb]26[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Battledance[/tb][tb]Epic Feat[/tb][tb]Dragon #297[/tb][tb]28[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Combat Panache[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]PHBII[/tb][tb]93[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Divine Shield[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Complete Warrior[/tb][tb]106[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Dread Pirate 9[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Complete Adventurer[/tb][tb]39[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Gloura (+2 LA, 7HD)[/tb][tb]Template[/tb][tb]Underdark[/tb][tb]88[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Grimwierd (+3 LA, 12 HD)[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]MMIII[/tb][tb]75[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Incorporeal[/tb][tb]Sub-type[/tb][tb]MM[/tb][tb]310[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Knight of the Sacred Seal 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Tome of Magic[/tb][tb]54[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Mystic Wonderer[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Magic of Faerun[/tb][tb]35[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Nymph (+7 LA, 6HD)[/tb][tb]Race[/tb][tb]MM[/tb][tb]197[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Paladin 2[/tb][tb]Sub level[/tb][tb]Champions of Valor[/tb][tb]48[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Risen Martyr 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]BoED[/tb][tb]68[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Sirine's Grace[/tb][tb]Spell[/tb][tb]Spell Compendium[/tb][tb]191[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Unholy Scion (+5 LA)[/tb][tb]Race[/tb][tb]Heroes of Horror[/tb][tb]156[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Warmage 1/3/5[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Dragonlance[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Oracle 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Adv Player's Guide[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC & CMD[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Oracle 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Adv Player's Guide[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC & Ref Saves[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Charisma[/tb][tb]Wilder[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Expanded Psionics Handbook[/tb][tb]29[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]Touch AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Constitution[/tb][tb]Deepwarden 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Races of Stone[/tb][tb]105[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Constitution[/tb][tb]Fist of the Forest[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Complete Champion[/tb][tb]80[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Constitution[/tb][tb]Forsaker[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Masters of the Wild[/tb][tb]57[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Constitution[/tb][tb]Improved Bind Vestige[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Tome of Magic[/tb][tb]73[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Ascetic Psion[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Secrets of Sarlona[/tb][tb]115[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Blade Singer 1[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Complete Warrior[/tb][tb]17[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Control Body[/tb][tb]Power[/tb][tb]Expanded Psionics Handbook[/tb][tb]86[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Duelist 1[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]DMG[/tb][tb]185[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Duelist 1[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]PF Core[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Eternal Blade 6[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Tome of Battle[/tb][tb]110[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Factotum 16[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Dungeonscape[/tb][tb]14[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Factotum 3[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Dungeonscape[/tb][tb]14[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Iaijutsu Master 1[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Oriental Adventures[/tb][tb]41[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Invisible Blade 1[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Complete Warrior[/tb][tb]44[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Magus 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Ultimate Combat[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Mantis Mercenary 5[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Oriental Adventures[/tb][tb]231[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Student of War 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]PF Chronicles: Seekers of Secrets[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Carmendine Monk[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Champions of Valor[/tb][tb]28[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC, Monk Powers[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Intelligence[/tb][tb]Kung Fu Genius[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]319[/tb][tb]71[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC, Monk Powers[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Balance[/tb][tb]Domain[/tb][tb]Player's Guide to Faerun[/tb][tb]84[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Dragon Warrior 2[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Dragon #298[/tb][tb]104[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Dungeoneers Intuition[/tb][tb]Feat[/tb][tb]Waterdeep[/tb][tb]144[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Mantis Mercenary 5[/tb][tb]PrC[/tb][tb]Oriental Adventures[/tb][tb]231[/tb][tb]3[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Monk 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]PHB[/tb][tb]39[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Monk 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Core[/tb][tb]?[/tb][tb]PF[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Monk's Belt[/tb][tb]Equipment[/tb][tb]DMG[/tb][tb]248[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Moon-Warded Ranger 2[/tb][tb]Sub level[/tb][tb]Dragon #340[/tb][tb]55[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Ninja 1[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Complete Adventurer[/tb][tb]5[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Saint (+2 LA)[/tb][tb]Template[/tb][tb]BoED[/tb][tb]185[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [tr][tb]Wisdom[/tb][tb]Sword Sage 2[/tb][tb]Class[/tb][tb]Tome of Battle[/tb][tb]16[/tb][tb]3.5[/tb][tb]AC[/tb][tb][/tb][/tr]
    [/table]
    And then do that to each of your tables. Presuming that they're all the same width, that they all have the same headers, Attribute, Name, Type, Book, Page #, Edition, Bonus, Notes, you can copy/paste each table into Excel and the formula results that you'll be copy/pasting to make the new table will autoupdate each time. So after you get the spreadsheet set up the first time, it'll basically just be a whole heck of a lot of copy/pasting.

I'd go look at that thread on this forum, use your browser to save it as a website, then you can copy/paste and Excel will automatically put each table cell into a different Excel cell.

Zherog can probably make it even easier on you, though -- send him your file and he'll autoconvert it for you. :)
    Last edited by Banaticus; 2014-03-21 at 09:10 PM.