1. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How do Dragons exist? With a lot of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingWhale View Post
    I really like it too! Question, how humanoid are these guys? I've a friend who is really into the dragons as humanoids styles and would love to follow along.
    Well, Dragons in my world have skin, not scales. The "scaley" parts come from it being highly keritinized (thick/hardened), and liney. I imagine its a similar to how the skin looks like on the back of the knuckles in some places (only harder like nails or somesuch), while other places appear to be smooth like the skin on the wings. Their arms and legs, shoulders and back are similar to humans in many species, though some look more like large lizards or serpents. I like to think that Dragons, Ancients (which are men basically) and Elves all share a common ancestor, though Elves and Ancients branched out much later than Dragons did. The progenitor of the Dragon species is an earlier version of the Sea Dragon, which today is a large, six finned, serpent-like Dragon. The six limbed aspect that many of the dragons have evolved from the six fins as it made its way on land. I'd say the ancestory of dragons and the other two main races came before it was an actual sea serpent...so like a cousin to humans, not a straight relative.

I don't think that Dragons can reproduce with other races, despite their humanoid structure and relation. Especially since their reproductive means are different, and dragons mostly are just...bigger. However, if I do make it that Dragons can shape change themselves or some sort, it could stand to reason that they might. I know it isn't what you asked, but I'm getting into a tangent, and its information I might as well mention. Dragons are not mammals, they are a reptile/bird/thing, similar to dinosaurs. However, they do have some mammalian qualities, and really, there are so many of them, they really aren't any of them - they're Dragons.

So, to get back to the original question - in the humanoid aspect - my dragons have similar bone structure for the arms and legs and torso (for the most part, remember, they have 2 sets of lungs), but they have lizard-esque tails, elongated necks, and different heads. Like humans, dragons are sentient, cultured, and highly intelligent. They're even more adaptive than humans, because they can evolve into their surroundings, and when that's too long - they adapt. Still, their culture and social structure is going to likely appear to be somewhat alien in some aspects, and familar in others. I'd love to have discussions in this regard, because I'm not too sure exactly how that might look myself in every aspect.

In other words, I'd love to have him, and you, on board for comments, ideas, or overall, to appeciate the Dragons!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-08-09 at 11:15 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)