1. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
    My apologies for the nonspecific description.

I've never commissioned art before, so I'm probably pretty awful at it. Feel free to ask for more clarification or to tell me if I'm doing something wrong.
    You can tell the general effectiveness of a description by how many unique pieces of information it gives.

For reference, when I make commissions it tends to use this format of description:

Errant:

Errant works for the Guardians of the Veil, who are the secret police of the Mage world. She’s short, with pale skin and blue eyes and a doll-like prettiness. She also has some absolutely horrifying scars and injuries. Her appearance is a mixture of disturbing and attractive. She carries herself with a quiet, measured authority and complete calm at all times.

Errant dresses in a rather elaborate Gothic style. Silver and black, with a high collar, high boots, dress, very little skin showing.

Pose: “Contemplation”. Errant is quiet until it is time to say something, so intensely conservative with her secrets that even casual conversation gives away too much. When she’s in these between-moments she’s quiet, meditative, staring at people with a faraway interest in her eyes.
    Resulted in this:

Spoiler
    Show

The point of said description is to communicate a style and mood for the piece as well as outlining major features. Be broad, but be specific, and don't linger too much on accessories.

Also don't be afraid to provide reference pictures!

I mostly like the composition on this one. The way his bits are arranged is nice, except for the head bit. That bit could stand to be a bit higher.
    Moving it up into the upper torso part?

Not so wild about the mechanical stylings, though. Smooth shiny metal would be better than rivets. So if you could leave all the little knobbly bits out of the final version, that'd be fantastic.

I don't think the gun hand fits, either. Two real hands would be more suitable.

I like the way that the eye is drawn to the sunburst gear design in the center. Stick the glowing gem there and I bet it it'll look pretty intimidating.
    Sure sure.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-28 at 05:35 PM.