Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
Relevant explanation is relevant:
Spoiler
Show
Despite ostensibly bringing it up I feel that no "genetic" explanation is really meaningful. Obviously there's a hereditary influence, but I doubt and do not care for magical traits obeying hard fast rules.

2 things.
Has "My Little Pony XLIX: Shipping is Magic" already been used as thread title, given the generator... right? right?
*rolling weed passes by*
I can dig this but think there's something better out there along this theme.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
Perhaps not a heavy one, but my (Californian) ears at least can tell a lick of difference between the east coast and the general newscastery "General American accent" based off the mid-west.
I can't, at least when I lived in San Diego for a year. Then again I probably have higher standards for having an actual accent. I suppose liguistists need something to amuse themselves with though. I think I read something once that whether you say soda or pop is considered important for accents, which I find ridiculous. (Yes I find people saying pop bizzare but that's not an accent)

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Boston and Jersey are really obvious. Other East Coast less so, though I would say it's more melodic than a regular "American" accept, which comes across as very flat and even to me. Also, I have said "hella" for the better part of my life. Welcome to California.
They are also pretty rare, or at least only apply to much smaller parts of then media would have you believe.