Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
Spoiler
Show
Excellent; thank you for highlighting that one lack that was itching at me but that I couldn't find. I think my original intention, when I first wrote this, was contrast - going from idyll to hell. But you're right, my usual method of highlighting by omission isn't going to work here.

And I'm afraid most of the sunrises I personally witnessed, I associate with Scottish mist and damp mornings. Which wouldn't be the most inspiring description ever, talking about how the mist slowly gets light enough to see from the kitchen to your tent and hey is that the sun yes it is now hurry up and rise all the way so we're not freezing.
But we don't go from idyll to hell. We completely skip the Hell. We go from idyll to idyll with the implication that something nasty happened but it's better now.

I think this story needs a sunset to every sunrise.

For a sunrise to be memorable watch it during summer, watch it alone and watch it from a mountaintop. Get up early and spend at least two hours waiting for it. The sunrise itself is brief, sudden, but the buildup - ah! That's what counts.