1. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    If the idea is to create a crackship generator, shipping more than two ponies together needs to be possible, albeit rather less likely. Also, randomised genderbending of one or more parties.
    OK! So with the possibility of m-pony shipping (e.g. [1]) the general formula for all-distinct ponies is N·(N-1)·...·(N-m+1)/(m!) so the number of available ships grows as O(Nm). (For later clarity, call the first formula S)

We could also have the generator also tells us how to lay out the relationships within an m pony ship. Figuring out how many ways it can that is much more complicated - TV Tropes illustrates the cases available for a love triangle. Simplify things and make all love requited; then fail badly at working it out yourself () and look it up at Wolfram MathWorld...
    The numbers of connected labeled graphs on n-nodes are 1, 1, 4, 38, 728, 26704, ... (Sloane's A001187)
    which seems right for m=1,2,3 at least. Multiply the number by S to get the number of possible generator outputs containing m ponies.

If we let the ponies be assigned to any of g genders (probably taking g=3) then we get gm times as many outputs containing m ponies.

To take a concrete example, suppose the generator deals with only the Mane Six (so n=6) assigned to three gender identity categories (g=3) and there are no clones or other ways to ship a pony with herself. There are...
    • 135 two-pony ships
    • 2160 three-pony ships
    • 46170 four-pony ships
    • 1061424 five-pony ships
    • 19467216 ships involving the entire Mane Six

Leave out gender, and we get
    • 15 two-pony ships (and a fic)
    • 80 three-pony ships
    • 570 four-pony ships
    • 4368 five-pony ships
    • 26704 ships involving the entire Mane Six

I'm not actually sure why I computed this, but hopefully someone will find it interesting.
    Last edited by Bryn; 2012-07-12 at 02:08 AM.