Quote Originally Posted by Salanmander View Post
The point that the OP is making is that, when talking about the utility of a druid, it shouldn't matter (much) whether a wizard can counter them.

[...]

The Arena Fallacy is a fallacy because most (or at least a lot of) D&D combat is a group of players against enemies which may or may not even have class levels.
Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Salanmander View Post
Edit: As for *why* that trend exists, I think it's there for a few reasons. First and foremost, it's simply easier to think about than this nebulous idea of "the average of all encounters", or whatever other alternative is there. Second, there's a fair bit of human nature and societal norms built around direct confrontation. It's the same thing that leads to a fist fight over who's better at a sport.
These are both fair points. I don't suppose there's much that can be done about the second one, except to try to discourage it where possible; the first, though, can perhaps be reduced by formalizing condensed "standard" encounter sets. E.g., a set of four-five widely differentiated encounters with which to compare the classes, either by running them through, or simply theorycrafting. (Essentially, the encounter series Psyren mentioned, standardized.)

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I do not think is a fallacy at all: the simple fact that in a campaign you could face enemies with class levels means that you should be aware that a Wizard has many options against a Fighter, while the Fighter has few option against a Wizard. Of course this is just an example, no intention to start a debate Fighter vs. Wizard. I just want to point out that an arena fight could be a good way to see if a class could be a reasonable challenge to the party and if not, what kind of tweaks it requires to not utterly destroy it, or give it a good fight.
This is true, as far as it goes, but the fallacy lies in trying to use the comparison for more than it actually works for. Fighters are a fairly good stand-in for all kinds of mundane classes and monsters, but what about a comparison of Shadowcaster vs. Truenamer? There are very very few monsters that use either of those subsystems, and not too many NPCs for that matter, and a direct arena comparison is therefore next to useless for determining their respective value in a party.