1. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    New brushes are always fun to play with. I remember when I discovered that I could download new brushes into Photoshop. My favorite is a sort of . . . elongated slanted rectangle-shaped brush (Kind of shaped like this symbol /. I'm sure there are better ways to describe it and I'm just too tired to think of them right now). If you find something like that for the program you're using (SAI, right?), definitely try it out. I know where to get it for Photoshop, but that doesn't really help for SAI.

Also . . .
    I'm currently using a square brush for paint-flatsing, which is actually doing quite well by me. I'm sure there's that shape there somewhere, will give it a try.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh man, I remember how happy that made me. TaliaXIvanova is my favorite pairing in Babylon 5 and I really wanted them to get together, and I was SO HAPPY when they did.
    I love that kind of incidental romance that doesn't force itself on the story, but feels a natural part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Well, you've certainly got the posture down pat with the constantly bent knees. I don't see a tail, but I think it's just hidden behind him. Kobold tails can be on the short side. And you also made him good and cantankerous-looking, your work on expressions is really paying off. I can almost smell the disdain from here.

Two things though, one that's completely on me; he's actually a fairly young Kobold. I think it's a combination of the sketchiness and the scale-brows, but he looks really old here. That can be intentional on your part, and may in fact be hilarious to see fully realized, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. The second is the shape of the snout/mouth. I've been trying to find a Kobold reference to match what I see in my head, and, admittedly, each picture has had a drastically different head shape. So take any and all advice I'm about to give with a grain of salt. Right now, it looks a bit more like a crocodile head than a draconic one. What you might try doing is narrowing the head the closer you get to the mouth. Shape that part of the head more like a sideways pyramid instead of a rectangular prism. You also might consider trying to add a sort-of overbite, like what you see on the dragon here.

Also, the one with the head from the front looks a heck of a lot like Discord in his teenage years. Just sayin'.
    All very useful feedback, thank you.

Day 390: Fourbolding

Here's some variations to look over. Feel free to mix and match features from any of the sketches. Any of these more what you had in mind?

A: Aviator. Swept-back design, focused, triangles and curves
    B: Hunter. Hooked and reptilian, lean and hungry. Hooks and jagged edges.
    C: Dragon Tales. Adorable.
    D: General. Long, poised and sleek. By far the most draconic.

Links

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Crystallise
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-06-11 at 05:07 AM.