Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
Day 389: Dragon Puppies

And we start on Amish's theme week. Starting off with a basic design sketch as well as a lot of reference study to get the hang of kobold anatomy. Amish, anything further to request or push towards or should I use this as the base?

Links

Time: 40 minutes
Music: Lost in the Everfree
Well, you've certainly got the posture down pat with the constantly bent knees. I don't see a tail, but I think it's just hidden behind him. Kobold tails can be on the short side. And you also made him good and cantankerous-looking, your work on expressions is really paying off. I can almost smell the disdain from here.

Two things though, one that's completely on me; he's actually a fairly young Kobold. I think it's a combination of the sketchiness and the scale-brows, but he looks really old here. That can be intentional on your part, and may in fact be hilarious to see fully realized, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. The second is the shape of the snout/mouth. I've been trying to find a Kobold reference to match what I see in my head, and, admittedly, each picture has had a drastically different head shape. So take any and all advice I'm about to give with a grain of salt. Right now, it looks a bit more like a crocodile head than a draconic one. What you might try doing is narrowing the head the closer you get to the mouth. Shape that part of the head more like a sideways pyramid instead of a rectangular prism. You also might consider trying to add a sort-of overbite, like what you see on the dragon here.

Also, the one with the head from the front looks a heck of a lot like Discord in his teenage years. Just sayin'.