I finally started rolling stats and stuff last night, did a little more research, and, like you Mr. Rickshaw, came to the conclusion that one pick simply wouldn't do. I also tend to build based in "fluff (I'm getting the idea that he's a pretty cool mix of Aramis and D'Artagnan)," so I think I'm going to go with Bard 1 (for that really cool and appropriate Calm Emotions thing), Swashbuckler 4 (at least; my homebrew is pretty good I think; I'll post it when I get a chance), Rogue 3 (w/ Penetrating Strike, of course), and... well, thereafter, we'll see what plays best and maybe what the group needs. I like the reminder of the Ambush Fighter...

Oh, feats a level 1: One-Eyed (flaw; -2 Search & Spot, plus roguish good looks), Able Learner, Deadly Defense (for that Destreza edge), and Extra Music. So far, so good.

Turns out that my companions thus far are a fiery-tempered and fiery-haired swordswoman bent on forging a dangerous reputation and a road to vengence for some past slight (Human, Ferocious Bbn w/ Warblade in her future), an elvish "potential Bladesinger" w/ a daishalar, a bow, and a tollerating but "speciist" attitude (Gray elf, Duskblade, looking to master a style or two from a copy of Dragon), and a Batm- ahem, crafty court magician who has his fingers into everyone's pies ("Sir Walter Reighly built as a Wizard," the player described him). Two more players yet to declair!