1. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: More Dinosaurs than Isla Nublar (okay, not really, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    There's a theory that Quetzalcoatlus was flightless.
    How'd you know that I was talking about Quetzalcoatlus? Although, then again, there is only one 10 HD pterosaur....

I wasn't aware of that theory. In fact, I was just watching a Discover Channel miniseries that suggested that Quetzalcoatlus may have been an extremely fast and maneuverable flyer, despite its bulk. I'll have to look that up, because that is a very interesting hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That said, in D&D, this can be ignored (as well as the issue that one normally wouldn't expect a flyer to lift a person's weight)- Rule Of Cool.
    Yeah, this class pretty much throws reality out the window. Its actually a reference to the Glidewing riders from Eberron.

Currently, the math seems to be right.

Quetzalcoatlus can hold large creatures no problem (the maximum light load for a medium creature with strength 26 can hold 306 or less. Then when you factor in the fact that they are huge, well... I don't think Quetzalcoatlus even weighed as much as what the rules say it can carry as a light load).

Large Pteranodons can hold roughly 200 lbs or less, which is good for a lightly armored and armored human, along with the lighter weight races like elves. Dwarves and Half-Orcs may have issues, though. Oddly enough, though, the entry said it can hold 300 lbs without a problem. Half-Orcs and Dwarves can ride 'em, too, I guess.

Medium Pteranodon can hold a lightly armored Gnome or Halfling and achieve flight, but barely.

It seems that the kind of person who would want to enter this class would be rogue-like, or an archery-based fighter. Not any of the heavy-hitting melee guys.

@Flabort: Ornithocherius is added to the list. If you want a Tapejara, I suggest using the Medium Pteranodon stats. They fit better for Tapejara than Pteranodons, anyway (in fact, I was thinking of those stats when I mentioned that they had official stats before).
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-15 at 05:16 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!